Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ethanol and Springtime: My Results

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
After topping off the tank, adding stabil, and putting the boat away for the winter, I like many others, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

So far this spring, fired up the engine and noticed not issues. Just changed the plugs, water pump, and fuel water separator.

Separator had the tinyest amout of water in it. So, my fears were for naught and I'm happy to say that after all the work, the engine fired right up again and seemed to be running better than ever.

Just thought I would share my experiences. Hope others have similar results.

1996 16' Aquasport striper with 1996 88SPL Evinrude

#2 ·
Nick,

Good to hear and seems to be a common theme across most threads I have seen on the subject. I had the boat in NC before the winter where they have yet to go to Ethanol so I don't have any first hand experience. I have started using the Startron fuel additive as a precaution.

Sean

#3 ·
The only issue I encountered was a bit of crud and water in my first separator switch out last spring. I switched it earlier than required and from then on have been following normal intervals.

Other than that its just fuel and oil for me. Seems to be good so far, but I don't want to jinx anything!

#4 ·
When I fired up the boat before the weekend before the icebreaker it would run for a few seconds then cut out. I had 9 gallons in the tank and there was no water in the separator. The fuel must have lost some umpf because when I added 16 gallons of 89 octane to offset the stale fuel it fired right up. I won't change the plugs until I go through the first decarb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.