Fly Fishing Forum banner

Striper Fly Lines

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  JohnM 
#1 ·
Yesterday while I was cleaning some gear I noticed a chunk missing from my 444 saltwater 10wt line that's ok I had this line on since they first came out. I am happy with the way the Cortland lines preform but I am always looking for an edge to get a few extra feet.I have tried a lot of lines and they are dust collectors or been cut up for heads.I have Wulff Triangle tapers they are ok from April to May after that they turn into limp dish rags. The Airflo tangles to much in the cold and turns to mush when the water warms. I like the SA Mastrey lines for bonefish and tarpon but they wont work up here till the water really warms up.Any new and exciting Intermediate lines out there? Thoughts, comments, recommendations?
Thanks John

#2 ·
Are you sure about the Airflo? It may depend on which one you're using. I bought a clear intermediate 7000ts last winter and it worked great. Coils perfectly in the stripping basket or even looped on the hand. It's designed for cold weather but even in August it worked great.

You can't get too technical with this stuff or it'll drive you crazy. You might try a Teeny line, it sounds like the only one you haven't tried yet.

#3 ·
IDEA... Let's contact line companies and get samples in exchange for our evaluation and feedback. To make it interesting, we will need to demonstrate that there are enough interested people. To keep it simple, we can use one of my reels to pass around. I'll set up a signup sheet.

Unless they want them back, we'll hold a drawing for the lines at the end of the test cycle.

If anyone is interested, please reply.

#5 ·
Juro:

Count me in.....
By the way, I have pretty good luck with the Rio lines. You do have to stretch them out, but when you do, they rocket out ! I also like the Wulff lines but have struggled with their durability. I used them for 2 years in the salt and found I had to change lines every year......

John

#6 ·
juro,
I would definitely be game for line testing. I just picked up the Airflo clear coldwater series for my 9 wt., haven't used it yet, but will be glad to post a report later. I have had bad luck with the Orvis intermediates, I don't think they cast nearly as well as the Wulff triangle tapers.

I think some of the new multi-head packages that Sci Angler and Airflo are putting out look pretty interesting for the person who doesn't have multiple rods or multiple spools. They now come with a floating, clear intermediate, fast intermediate and deep sinking leadcore. Has anyone checked these out? my biggest question is, how does the loop-to-loop connection shoot through the guides, and how bad is the hinging effect where the head and running line meets?

Jeff G.

#7 ·
Finally a little free time to see what's going on & yes, count me in.

We would need to set up a standard analysis of each; time of day, air & water temperatures, water condition, flies used (& weight?), current (for twisting on the swing), type of retrieve?, actual time fishing.

Maybe even use the same rod for each test, I would volunteer one of mine as long as I can receive a temporary replacement from the tester.

I think JohnM is the first I've heard of who uses Rio's & I would like to hear more from him.

Personally, I continue to mull over the reviews of Cortland, Sci Anglers & Airflo for the 4 lines I want to pick up for this season.....

#8 ·
Per the Rio lines... I am also a great fan of the Striper lines they put out. They aren't exactly clear, but a real stealthy dull transparent grey and with the bullet taper do they ever throw a loop.

I strung up a 9wt Rio Saltwater / Striper line on a Sage rod when Seattle member Brian Lencho came out last summer and he loved it. He now uses one for ocean coho out on the Pacific coast. We both include Rio lines in our Spey casting setups (Windcutter, Accellerator, etc).

I am a great fan of the 444 Cortland lines, they have been paying attention to the market demand over the last few years. The 325 grain QD is a working man's sinking line that casts easier than conventional lines as long as shooting head rules are followed: don't aerialize much more than the head itself. They aren't technically shooting heads but the only difference is no loop. (Isn't that right Bassman?) The new 444 clear lines *hold a nail knot*, in fact mine held all season. The slippage on other lines kept me from investing for years. When you factor in the Big Game SW Intermediate (white) which casts like a "normal" flyline, and the XRL series (another shooting head style design w/o the loop) which casts like a banshee (although I kept getting cuts on my hands from the abrasive running line) - Cortland has a great range of striper lines.

SA offers the Striper Mastery line, which I have not tried. Many of my friends fish it, and most love it. I'll reserve comments for those who have firsthand experience. I am a big fan of SA lines, particularly the long belly steelhead and Spey designs as well as Mastery dry lines for trout. Their wide assortment of tapered shooting heads is also very popular with steelhead fishermen who build hybrid sink tips.

I like the concept of the Orvis WonderLines, hopefully the intermediate version that just came out will provide a low-maintenance, slick shooting alternative for SW FF folks. We'll have to try 'em out too!

[Sorry about the delay, I hope to have this testing program setup by the start of the season!]

#9 ·
Airflo has come up with a coldwater clear line that can be stored in the freezer and perform well right out of the icebox. We will be receiving some soon, if you're interested in trying them out just reply to this post.

The catch: You must post a report. That's it!

more to come... Juro

#12 ·
Roop and others....

Sorry for being MIA for a while.........lots of stuff going on in my personal life these days...... to the Rio Lines........I have used these lines for about 3 years now. I absolutely love them. There striper line is a Rocket. The only drawback on it (like many other striper lines) is you really need to stretch it out. I usually take the line off the reel and strecth 2 or 3 foot sections. I have even dragged it behind the boat for a few miles and that seems to help. Once it strecthes, look out ! RIO has come out with a clear Aqualux striper line. I just got it but have not put it on a reel.
I also use their Windcutter lines and they worked very well out west with the constant wind on some of those big western rivers. In fact, I was even able to use a 9ft, 4wt more often than in the past because of this line. They recently intoduced more colors to the lines (green camo, etc) to offer more selctions.
Although I cannot make the Early Spring Clave, I will be at the Monomoy Adventure and will hopefully have some extra RIO's to let you try..........

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.