Fly Fishing Forum banner

Insurance for checked gear on airlines

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Philster 
#1 ·
I'm heading to warmer climes to chase tuna and sails next month, and I'm wondering if anyone has any leads on insurance for gear in checked luggage. My outfitter offers a policy for one thousand dollars worth of gear. Okay, that's two of the four reels I'll be bringing :eek:

Anyone have anything better?

#2 ·
Checked with Joan whose a travel guide in Europe.

She uses "TravelGuard" for her luggage insurance. Have had to use them once (claim on small stuff) but they came through like gang busters. But, if it's "gone" it won't help you when you hit the beach.

You may have to "do something special" if you have high end items (declare them up front) but they will cover you loss.

And stick your reels in your carry on luggage. I've also checked luggage at the boarding gate rather than at the check in counter. That way you can 'watch' them load the rod tubes. Just tell the gate agent what you're up to. Any questions (not likely) they can just open the tubes and look at the rods before they squirt them into the belly of the plane. (Remember, they've already been through two layers of airport security.

Just don't try to get a cork-screw through. :>)
fae

#3 ·
Sorry Fred. I've had too many friends and acquaintances told they can't bring the reels on the plane. You know, you might storm the cabin with an intermediate line, or gosh forbid a lead core head!

I'm not so much worried about not having it at the destination. That would be terrible, but not the end of the world. Having to replace the stuff after disappearing forever is the fear. One of the reels would be very hard to replace (solid spool Billy Pate Tarpon), financially it would be a HUGE blow, and emotionally... well, these things have been around with me, you know?

Current plan is rod tube and reel bag in a large duffel along with clothes and such.

I'll check the insurance front you listed.

thanks

#5 ·
Hmmm - I haven't had a problem with reels but it has been for domestic travel. Used to carry a 2pc 9ft rod on too, but that was pre 9/11. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Just make sure you carry your flies and other essentials on board if you can. I had BA loose my luggage for 5 days out of a seven day trip to scotland a couple of years ago and it was a lot easier to rent a rod for a day than to go without all of the flies I had tied in anticipation of the trip!

Good luck!

#6 ·
"Why not just take the lines off them if the only worry is the lines? Cheaper to replace a line than a reel.....

-sean"

Two words Sean: Gel and Spun. :D

The big reel has probably 700 yards total on it.
The next down has 475 to 500
The ten wieght reel has at least 450
The 9 only has twofiddy

This ain't no steelheadin' trip...

#8 ·
Jeez... with that much backing you could probably leave the reel at home, hang on to the tippet, and pull the thing there once you've landed!

:eyecrazy:

#10 ·
"Jeez... with that much backing you could probably leave the reel at home, hang on to the tippet, and pull the thing there once you've landed!"

It's not about the backing, it's about the reels. When Large Arbors invaded the market and caused lots of folks to dump their reels and adopt the "New Technology", some of us realized that if we loaded our Billy Pates and Abel Big Games half full with Dacron, and filled the rest of the reel with Gel Spun, it would cost us about 30 bucks a reel, and they would perform pretty much the same as Large Arbors at about 5% of the cost of a new reel. Of course we didn't get the rush all the gear junkies got buying their new reels :hehe:

I would like to say I'll never need that much backing, but I foul hooked a Tuna in the shoulder once, and came pretty close to seeing my arbor knot on a reel that held 450 yds... Thought I had a wahoo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.