Fly Fishing Forum banner

A good idea (imho)

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  fcch 
#1 ·
Just a note, ...

I just got a message from the River Association for the Ste-Marguerite Rv (Saguenay) Quebec.

Seems, as we're C&R for Adult Salmon again this year, if you release a Grand Salmon (more than 63 cm), you get a coupon to redeem at the local grocery store for a frzen salmon (fish farmed) between 4-5 lbs.

Are there any other "Zec's" that do this ??

#2 · (Edited)
imho

Hello Chris in my honest opinion I think that giving a reward to enhance catch and release is a good idea.I do not think that giving away a farmed fish is a reward perk or bonus whatever.It is almost like an oximoron ,fish farming is doing more damage than good to the stocks with their diseases, sea lice and interbreeding of escaped fish.I read somewhere in one of the posts that it takes 4 lbs.of ocean fish to produce 1 lb. of farmed salmon giving them away just keeps the demand healthy.If they want to give stuff away let it be a couple of flies a decal a pin or some memorabelia even a hat.The cost of these is far less expensive than a farmed salmon .This may even create a small bit of employment for a local. Don't get me wrong I am not attacking the Zec or anybody in fact I applaud them for their work and that is my honest opinion thanks

#3 ·
Rankinstein,

(Note: just to keep things on an even keel) I don't work for the Zec, I'm just a simple member that would like to see the river "realize" it's full potential. )

Ya, ... I know what you mean. We discussed the idea for quite a while at the annual gen. meeting for the Zec.

Not quite a C&R clientele here. We went to complete C&R in 2002 when the June numbers of salmon was so low. (in "normal" prime time" we had a couple of spawners arrived.

From then on (and a fine idea, imho), we kept the C&R on adults.

We lost A LOT of clients. (must add that at the same time, the Bardsville site, which offered lodging closed).

We are slowly building back up a "client base". We have sea run trout, so that gives a nice mix of adults, grisle and BIG trout.

We'll see how things pan out in the coming season :)

Tight lines ...

#4 ·
I could not agree more with Rankenstein.

I live on the west coast of Scotland and salmon farming has almost destroyed our run of wild salmon and sea trout. By buying, accepting, or eating any form of farmed salmon we are promoting it's existence.

I would rather see an angler taking a wild fish, than allow salmon farming continue to destroy our natural resource to allow a foreign company to gain financial profit.

Reducing the prices, when catch and release is made compulsory, would be a better way of attracting anglers and promoting C&R.

#8 ·
To improve things, if the fishing needs to be C&R ... Then just make it C&R ... don't fool around with coupons and adult fish, slot limits, etc ... If you have a fish out of the water for more than a quick picture ... fine them $200 per fish and be done with it.

Here in Michigan on the Pere Marquette River there was an area of "quality fishing" where you could keep one fish (Salmon or Steelhead) per day ... more than once I saw guys walking out with a fish ... only to be back on the river fishing five minutes later after putting that one on ice in the trunk of their car. They have now made the area flies only / C&R ... you can not have any fish in your possession or the DNR will give you a ticket. Guess what ... no one takes any fish from the area. I love it ... Oh did I mention I was a C&R fisherman ... I haven't kill a fish in years ... Love 'em and Leave 'em

Stephen

#9 ·
Stephen,

We have tags in Quebec and time limits for declaring captures (tagged fish) so I feel the control up here is pretty good.

Ooops, I forgot to mention in the preceding post, ... when I said "If I release a salmon" that would be to say, "If I land a salmon". :)

I go mostly after the sea run brookies.

Thanks for the comments and observations. Noted.

#10 ·
Sorry if I sounded harsh ...

I just don't understand people not wanting to protect the rivers and fishing.

Our rivers in Michigan get a lot of pressure ... some are loved to death ... not all the people that use the rivers are conservation minded ... the areas that are C&R tend to be in better shape ... I think fewer people use them and the ones that do are sportsman in the best sense of the word.

I was up to the Gaspe' last year for the first time and was very impressed by the beauty and wonderful care given the rivers by the ZEC. I was thinking "this is what Michigan rivers looked like 100 years ago". I would hate to see the fishing or the rivers harmed.

I can't wait to be back to the Gaspe'. and will be there in 8 days ... not that I am counting. :D

Stephen

#11 · (Edited)
Stephen,

8 days, ... Well I hope things go well. I beleive there have been some connections over the last few days.

I'm quite a creature of habit and don't get off of my homewaters often and then, ... I'll usually only jump over the fyord. (we have 4 Salmo salar rivers within 60 minutes of the house ;))

Fishing pressure is pretty varied from region to region in Quebec.

July long weekend - Rv Ste-Marguerite (overcrowding?);)

Some rivers are "crowded", others are empty, depending on species, season, location. Public opinion is shifting in Quebec when it comes to natural resource use. I feel, that the general public is learning that we "enjoy" the resource with out "exploiting" it.

I'm lucky that when I want to chase BIG trout, I have sea runners here or I can grab a "lift" up to the Broadback.

Just a small P.S. too, ... As a part time guide on the river up here, when I furnish flies, there ar barbless hooks for the most part and all singles. The first time the clients sees this, they give afunny look, but I've never had one decline to use barbless singles. Times change :)

#12 ·
We ( Prince Edward Island)have dropped the retention of grilse from 7 tags per season down to four this year. Also, if you hand in all of your tags at the end of the season your name goes in to a draw for a Sage rod, reel, line and backing. I agree, prizes and the like can be a great way to keep a few extra spawners in our streams.
Nice work Chris.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

#13 ·
Consider yourselves lucky...

At one of the local ponds there is a sign by the boat launch that says something along the lines of: "Fish are contaminated with Mercury. Please limit the consumption of Largemouth Bass to 2 per month. Children, Senoirs and women who are pregnant should not eat these fish."

Needless to say I'm not likely to keep any fish from that pond. :Eyecrazy:

#14 · (Edited)
Salmon Chaser,

I hope to put up the same idea dnext year. A while ago, the Little Saguenay put you rname into a hat for each Adult salmon you released. Winner of the draw got a nice rod combo (Sage I believe).

I'm looking to put together the same deal next year.

Most of the folks I hook up with don'T really want to Kill a salmon, so I think the drawing could be a nice idea.

(We're listening here ;))

Geoff, I wonder if I could just simply print up some of those signs and put some sort of official looking logo on it ;)

#15 ·
RE: Official looking signs

chris, I was thinking the exact same thing in regards to some signage for our local salmon streams :chuckle:
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne Miller
><)))*>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.