Fly Fishing Forum banner

SA Saltwater Taper feedback?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jared 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the SA Mastery Saltwater taper for use in cold waters such as here in the Puget Sound region. I'm looking for a 6 wt floating line for beach fishing. Looking for a line that will give me better distance (aren't we all) and ability to throw medium sized poppers. For what it's worth I'm using it on a Sage 696 RPL.

In general, I really like the SA Mastery series. Initially I was considering at the XXD (Max Distance Taper) but the total head length at 65' for the 6 wt seems too long. The head on the Saltwater taper is 45'. On the downside, the Saltwater line appears to be stiffer ("moderate" vs "low" stiffeness) according to SA's documentation, but I'm curious how much of a factor this will be.

Any other suggestions? How about the AirFlo 40+ line which appears to be an integrated shooting head style line with a 36' head. Or how about Sage Performance tapers? Rio Clouser or Quickshooter?

Appreciate you help!

-Oly

#2 ·
You might think I'm crazy, but I've been using the SA Bonefish floating lines for my poppers on my 6, 8 and 10wt rods in Puget Sound.

The line turns the flies over well and I get all the distance I need. I'm feeling that the stiffness in cold water aids in shooting the line. I don't use use a stripping basket either but I don't know if that means anything or not to the line.

The line also "sings" as it comes through the guides, which is pretty sexy.

Leland.

#4 ·
I just started using the 6wt coldwater floating clouser. It has a personality. Doesn't like long leaders with light flies. It is pretty good with big heavy and bulky flies as advertised.

Never used a line where I could straighten a 12 foot leader with a clouser attached on a roll cast, then take one backcast, and deliver a 65 foot cast. I can cast farther with other lines, but with weighted flies it's pretty good. Haven't really decided if I love it or not yet, but if 65 yo 70 feet is enough, it should be considered.

#6 ·
i would also look at true shooting heads. a rio 8 wt. floating shooting head matches up great with a 6 wt. rod. (you want to overline shooting heads imo). i throw big poppers on an 8 wt. with a 10 wt. floating head. i find them a much better line than a full length line due to the ability to quickly get line out with minimal false casting.

good luck,
chris

#7 ·
Olyfly said:
Thanks follks.
Leland - yes, I do recall from an earlier topic that you use the bonefish lines. Do you start out the day with a line stretching?
Think I'm leaning towards the SA Saltwater.
-Oly
Yes he does, I've watched him. He hooks up a nice fish, then his line is stretched for the day :lildevl:

#8 ·
FWIW, I really like the Airflo coldwater intermediate line. This line works fine for fishing poppers/gurglers and then just a matter of counting it down to fish a streamer.

Use the 10wt for my saltwater applications in New England and the 7 wt will be wet in 6 days for sea-runs and pacifics in the salt...can't wait!!

-jared

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.