Fly Fishing Forum banner

New personal best...

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Possumface 
#1 ·
...crappie?!

Sure, it happens when I don't bring the camera. Bert and I took Friday off and hit a local resevoir hard for some warmwater fishing. I figured it would be a great day for topwater with the weather, and the fish didn't disappoint. Well, all fish except for largemouth that is.

The first fish, which I thought to be a largemouth, was actually the biggest crappie I've ever personally witnessed. It was 14.5" long and weighed nearly 1.5 pounds, and took a 1/0 Sneaky Pete slider I was slinging for bass on the edge of some pads. Not to be completely outdone, Bert followed that with another fish not quite as large, but still impressive at 12" and a hair over one pound.

Many panfish felt our hooks that day, but the bigger bass eluded us. Best flies were tiny jiggies, the Madame X, and marabou muddlers. We plan to hit it again soon for a graveyard shift in hopes of getting the big girls that are probably nocturnal. :lildevl:

#2 ·
Nice! Crappie are lots of fun, especially when they start to bulk up a bit. Too bad you didn't get photos. Then again, the camera tends to shave off a few ounces anyway :hihi: .

Q

#5 ·
ok im going to brag a little ive caught 18" white crappie out of my 1 acre pond. the crappie take my bass spinner baits. i dont know why they are growing so large, the pond is fed by natural springs which keeps the water aereated. there is also black crappie, largemouth bass, bluegills, channel cats, albino cats. which is alot fish competing . people would not think this quality of fish are right here under there noses and its in a neighborhood. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.