Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Ride

9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jcc_00 
#1 ·
Well, after a lot of searching, got the boat I pretty much had in mind. When I can figure out how to download from Picassa, I will post a couple of pix. It's an extensively rebuilt older Seacraft 20SF cc with the floor raised to casting platform level and a lot of the weight taken out.........handles the snot like a dream and floats in an honest 12 ".

#5 ·
Like I said: Todd Old Buddy, Old pal:biggrin:

That hull design looks like it was copied by Jones Bros. & Silverhawk to some extent. In any event it looks like it can handle the rough water just fine & you will still stay reasonably dry. Nice Todd real nice.

#7 ·
Stepped Hull

Warren,

To really appreciated the Seacrafts you have to look at them from the transom. They have a variable deadrise/stepped V hull. This provides the benefits of a softer ride but also helps with stability at rest that traditional V hulls sacrifice. Jones Brothers, Parkers etc...for the most part have significantly less deadrise in the stern and utilize tabs to get the bow down and use the sharp entry to get through the slop. The idea is that you can use less power for the same performance and get in a little tighter. I am sure there is some influence in all small hulls but not as much as you might think in this case.

Sean

#8 ·
Seacraft "ride"

The variable deadrise hull does give a very different.......softer.....ride; at some sea angles (particularly quartering down-wave) it can be a bit wetter than some of the others. The boat does have trim tabs. Once you've had them on a boat, you can't consider not having them.

#9 ·
Smcdermott said:
I am sure there is some influence in all small hulls but not as much as you might think in this case.
Sean I was referring more to overall lines or look of the hull. I am not yet so well versed in the finer aspects of hull design. But learning more as the time comes closer for me to consider purchasing a fishing boat. Thank you for pointing that out.

#14 ·
That's an awesome looking boat. That V looks like it can handle some pretty serious seas! The padded leaning rail all the way around is a really nice feature too.

That's exactly what I'd like to get once I have a few $$$. For now I'll have to stick with the new yak I bought (give it 20 years, my 2nd kid is due any day).

#15 ·
Todd
something just struck me after looking at the boat photos again. It is unique and pretty cool that the deck is at the same level all around... bow to stern.
Don't see that often in a 20 footer! :)
Will certainly make it easy to move around the boat with that (inevitable) 150 lb tuna at the end of your (my) line! ;)

#17 ·
Riggers

Hey Jim. Yes, it has outrigger sockets, but the seller kept the poles (fine with me). There is a leaning post and some bar-stools, but I don't know what I think of them yet. I only know 2 things I need to do for sure: 1) Under gunwale rod racks; 2) move trim-tab rocker switches up to the console top near the throttle. There are other possibilities, but I want to go slow and keep it "sano".

#18 ·
Looking for input

Looking at a Pursuit hull , older model. Can anyone comment on reliability over the years w/Pursuits? I have experience with Steiger Craft, Sea Ox and Parker. two of those three are solid hulls forever. I'm interested in delamination of wood core, bilge stringers, etc. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.