Fly Fishing Forum banner

First sleigh ride

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
I took the kayak out in Niantic Friday evening. I was in a spot that's usually reliable for shad, but the schoolies were out in full force. Suspecting that there might be a few bigger fish around, I changed lines and started to bump the bottom. A thirty inch striper cooperated and proceeded to pull me in circles on the eight weight. Now that was different. :smokin:

I totaled about ten schoolies, the keeper, and one shad. A chartruese real eel caught most of the fish. Lightening drove me off the water by about 9:30, but I was quite happy for the experience. My confidence with the kayak is growing.

#2 ·
Nice work. Its fun getting towed around. You don't get to see the backing very often in the yak though, that's one bonus from being shore bound.

I have yet to figure out how to get them to tow me in the right direction though. They always seem to know how to make my paddle longer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.