Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tuna No-show

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Salmon Chaser 
#1 ·
Once again, where are the fish? Logged about 40 miles today ...round trip and trolling out at the shipping lanes between the BC bouy and the regal sword...left 4:30 and back by 1:30....Nothing.... just whales around. Was out with my neighbor on TINUS with 5 rods out...radio chatter confirmed the day as did conversation with the guys back at Ryders Cove. Ken, my neighbor also chatted with capt. Stewart. Patchy fog and I stayed at the helm most of the time driving out and trolling, watching the radar screen and my GPS coordinates...no close calls luckily. Took a cat nap on the deck and my son did catch a nice big , maybe over 35 inches, Blue when we stopped about 5 miles out to cast to rising fish while coming back in. Will try again next week. Did not even put my 14 weight together just in case. Nice day though.

#2 ·
I've heard second-hand news of some people out of Green Harbor finding them, also when I worked in Maine on the USS Arleigh Burke project my BIW chunker buddies had good numbers up their way this time of year. Primarily giants they sold to "the Moonies" as they referred to their customers.

#4 ·
Yes, It appears that you need to make the long run to the canyons as another neighbor did with his father with Terry N. this past weekend. These conditions have happened before but it is quite a difference compared to the beginning of the season.

#8 ·
Jim, we are going out tomorrow south of the sword where there are fish. The guy I am going with boated two yesterday.I also will have my 14 weight in the event there is any surface action and we can get in...Mike, great informative post..the best. This is the Bluewater forum I think...check back and read it.

#10 · (Edited)
I lost my internet signal for a while and used a neighbors to take care of some business here...but I am back on now . We landed one and lost one yesterday..... My son had a nice one about 60 some inchs ,we think, which broke off about 6 feet below the boat after his rod exploded. Landed another one.... Had two opportunities to cast a fly at breaking fish.... As my son was playing one, the fish started breaking around us... I could not get my cast out in time before they simply went down...Happened later again...they were up one second and down the next...Today..out by 4 back by 11...boated 4...none on the fly...no rising fish seen....today just outside the fleet at the BC bouy.... yesterday...south of the Regal sword. I think from reports we got we would have been better off at the BC bouy on Saturday. Will try again next weekend and during the week...anyway, hope the striper fishing gets better so I can just do that.

#11 ·
Juro.
I fished Lobster in November and December of '99 out of Green Harbour. Cool experience(no pun intended):smokin:
Exceptional group of men fishing there,, really good lads that made a Canuck feel like one of the boys.
I would love to get down there when the smaller fly rod sized Tuna are coming through.
I fish them commercially here on PEI but not with fly rods. I am unaware of any fly rodding for them here in the maritimes. They are usually too big for fly rods by the time they get here anyways.
If i can get down next summer for a few days perhaps I could tag along with one of you lads? That would be pretty cool.
Salmon Chaser and part-time Tuna Chaser

925lb Bluefin landed at Port Hood Cape Breton. Aug 14, 2008

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.