Fly Fishing Forum banner

It IS a sickness!

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  kush 
#1 ·
flytyer - you are right - I can't seem to stop. Maybe this is the Striblue disease?

Never-the-less, I am now ready for the weekend, no more intruders will be tied until I fish :smokin:

#6 ·
Someone help this sole

Some one please give this man some lorazempam.....anything that will sedate him....he's gone mad.....Stop him please.....next he will be tying the Invaders......and believe me you don't want to see those.......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#7 ·
Kush,

Tying a bunch of flies is one thing, and a very understandable obsession. However, when you start arranging them in different displays, it moves you to a whole new level.

Since I have a Masters degree in Families and Family Therapy, with also having spent 12 years working in mental health as a therapist I have a presciption for you to effectively deal with this "problem" you are developing from tying Intruders. Take your favorite winter 2-handed rod and the accouterments that go with it to a favorite winter steelhead river and fish with said flies.

The reason this is such an effective way to deal with the "problem of having too many flies" is simple. As you fish with them, you will surely lose a few to the "rock fish" or "snag fish" lurking about under the streamy flow. This way you will always have a prefectly valid reason to continue tying as many as you wish.

#8 ·
It is early Saturday - I...will...not...tie...

Tomorrow I take flytyer's advice - I will be medicating my affliction by spending long hours immersed in the cold waters of the Skagit interspersed with short intense boat rides. If spring steel comes my way - so be it - but I feel better already.

This must be a variation of the dreaded Mykiss Flu, I had heard that a new strain was about - now that I can recognize its symptoms I will not be so slow in applying the treatment! :hehe:

It is also strange how the Mykiss Flu tends to get more virulent in mid April - sometimes in the last week it results in mid-week outbreaks!

#10 ·
The Fly Police Can't Touch Me....

Like any good serial deviant, I keep my home clean, I maintain a second location where all the dirty work gets done :devil:

I think I may be suffering a bit of a relapse... I went to the flyshop today and without consciously thinking about it - came away with pheasant tails, various colours of Guinea, assorted ostrich feathers and some lead eyes. I wonder what I could do with all this stuff? :confused:

#11 ·
Sounds like

The makeings of the Voo Doo Childs cousins the Witch and the Warlock . I Think you'd better find a 12 step program , sub concious means it's not even premeditated anymore now it's strickley habit . How many Volts would you like 12 or the full 220 !!:devil: :smokin:

Later my vise is calling going to lake Omak Thursday , must build streamers . Bruce:D

#12 ·
Kush,

Be very careful or else you will end up like me and become a tying material junkie with thousands of dollars of material lurking about your house and garage. Soon a couple of tails and some ostrich plumes along with several packages of led eyes will not be enough. You will progress to buying pheasant tails by bundles of 100 of a color, led eyes by the pound, and ostrick in 10 plume bundles of a single color. Then you will start to buy hooks by the thousand of a single size and tying thread by the dozen of a single color.

There is no hope for me any longer, as my addiction to tying flies has been of too long a duration and I now go on quests for exotic materials to tie full-dressed feather wing Atlantic Salmon flies. But you can still prevent this sickness from getting any worse. Repeat after me: "I don't need to tie more Intruders, I don't need to tie more Intruders, I don't need to tie more Intruders".

#13 ·
I do not need to tie more Intruders... I do not need to tie more Intruders ... I do not need to tie more Intruders ... I need to tie more Intruders ... I need to tie more Intruders ... I need to tie more Intruders. Thanks flytyer, I feel better already!

#14 ·
Kush -

Like I didn't already doubt my chances following you thru a pool!?! Now I am toast.

They say the more you tie, the faster your flies evolve and improve. Therefore, I suggest you send me the ones you've already tied and continue to pursue your quest for intruder perfection... :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.