Fly Fishing Forum banner

Belize

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  blindcast 
#1 ·
I'm going with Vince the Great to Turneffe Flats on Friday. Anyone have any advice to offer. Flies, sizes, weighted/unweighted, that kind of stuff.
Has anyone here been there at this time of the year? How are the snook? I know it's not a great time, but I just turned 40, and my wife got this for me as a present. Anywhere south of Buffalo will be great at this time of the year. I could use a nice lodge with good food right about now.....:biggrin:

#2 ·
I have been in October, not Jan. The place is fantastic.

Most of the bonefishing is on extremely shallow coral flats so you will want lots of flies with weedguards.

Dedicate some time to permit fishing. I would like to go back there and focus 100% on Permit sometime.

Dont forget your bug dope!

Looking forward to your report.

#3 ·
Congrats on this great trip. You will have a great time at Turneffe. As far as flies are concerned, keep it small #4-6 for bones, and invest a little bit of money in various Spawning Shrimp flies for Permit. We have great success with these patterns at our lodge and highly recommend them. Your tarpon flies will work equally effective on snook. They are rarely fussy.

Patterns are not as important as varrying the weight on your flies. You will encounter different depths and different styles of feeding, and will need to adjust weight many times.

If you need photos of our Flies or have questions, please feel free to PM or contact me directly.

Thanks-Mark Branle
Owner, Belize Fly Outfitters and Lodge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.