Fly Fishing Forum banner

Only three weeks .....

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  jfbasser 
#1 ·
#6 · (Edited)
The Marlborough show is on the skids. The thing is all about making a buck. Huge charge for a booth and huge admissions, then he trots out the same list of seminars year after year. This is at least the fourth year in a row with the same speakers doing the same programs. Unless I`m really depressed I can`t see $14 a ticket to see 27 Salmon fly artisans tie display pieces and watch Sedotti do another Syonara Sling and then go sleep thru a seminar.
Slinger
Adrian, is Danbury differant? Wouldn`t mind the drive as long as it was differant.

#8 ·
Danbury is smaller of course, but very personable and nicely done. There are a fair number of exhibitors and it's comfortably attended so you see a lot of friends and personalities but you also have enough time to chat.

Marlboro is very commercial, which has it's ups and downs. Depends on what you're after. Somerset is the mother of all shows this side of the Mississipi.

My favorite in this region is the March show at the Shriners.

I hope to make the drive, I'll be out casting in the parking lot most likely ;)

#9 ·
Agreed, Danbury is a bit more user friendly than Marlborough madness.

There are some similar faces but also some local folks like Geoff Northrop covering the Norwalk Islands and LI Sound.

This year I will have a pass for Saturday evening libations if folks are staying local. :smokin:

#11 ·
Well, it looks like I might not make Danbury after all. My mother-in-law will most likely be in the hospital on Christmas itself, so we may be traveling back up to visit the in-laws at home for a second Christmas on the weekend of the show.

If not Danbury, then I'll make Marlborough or Somerset.

#15 ·
PVD 95% non-fly?! (imho)

As long as we're talkin' shows...

I might add...a fine sponsor...
15 Feb...Bear's Den...1800-2200 (6-10)...admission FREE
Bob Clouser plus many other reasons to be there!

#16 ·
HI Pete! Long time no hear, missed ya! Bears Den Show has Pop and Clouser this year Should be great. The RISAA Show in the Prov Convention Center is fast turning into one of my favorites, little to see for the hard core purist but lots of cool stuff for everyone else. T he seminars alone are worth the price and it all goes to a scholarship fund for marine biologist, I believe, no5t into somebodies pocket. Be sure to stock up on tee shirts with 7 or 8 biooths selling some gorgeous shirts for $10 a pop! Lots of charters and custom wood turners too.
Please excuse the typos, been celebrating the arrival of my 3rd grandchild this evening, all in 1 yr. Isabell, 9 months, Jonathan 4 months and now Nathan, I couldn`t be happier. Sambuca with Bass Ale chasers for everyone!
Slinger

#19 ·
Juro,

Spotted a few tiers at the Providence Show last year, as well as one of our sponsors, the Saltwater Edge. I like to look at the color schemes for the surf plugs ask a few folks what was effective the past year and then I try to copy the color schemes as bucktail streamers. :lildevl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.