Fly Fishing Forum banner

Poppers off the beach

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  saltRon 
#1 ·
A QUESTION TO LELAND

Have you ever posted tying information and pics of your poppers on the site ?? If yes where is it ,,, if no, could you for us west coast guys who work the beaches in BC.

In Anticipation saltRon <*}}}}><

#3 ·
Or since I run it so I can post it check here:

http://www.waflyfishers.com/pages/fly.html

There you will see it but I guess Leland has been tinkering with it so there may be some changes. However since I tied so many when he posted these instructions a couple years back I am still working on getting through the originals and they work just fine :)

I will work on moving this over to our site as well.

-sean

#4 ·
Thanks Sean.

Ron, I would add a few modifications I have made.

#1) I try to use a #6 hook for the embedded (like that usage from Iraq?) to keep the weight down.

#2) I no longer snell the trailer. I push a loop through the eye (a loop to loop connection) and tie down both tag ends and double over and tie again.

#3) I have found a good polar bear substitute in white Arctic Runner (manufactured by The Last Hope, www.lax-a.is) which thins out, so tie it fat.

Leland.

#5 ·
Thanks Leland & Sean

Have you ever experimented with tying as a tube fly eliminating the first hook or are you in balance with the first section of hook. Do you feel the trailer should be free to move indipendent of the body of the fly.

Regards saltRon <*}}}}><

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.