Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon River Report

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gseries69 
#1 ·
After cancelling our last trip we finally made it to Pulaski to swing spey flies for steelhead. On arrival we had water at 2,100cfs and coming down fast. We swung a variety of flies on skagit lines and 10'-12' T-14. Found fish at the head and tail out of the pools. Struggled with my double spey, need to find the hiccup and correct. Snap T is getting much easier and as I improve is taking much less effort.

As the water receeded the fish were off the bite. Most anglers I spoke to were not having much luck on the second day, water down to 1,500cfs. We didn't have a bump all day but noticed many fish headed for a B line towards the lake. Elvis had left the building.

Beautiful weather, with an up stream wind in the afternoon so learned to use a reverse double spey which I was performing better than my double spey.

Note to anyone using tube flies to check your hooks often. Had 2 good takes on a tube fly with no hook ups. A closer look revealed that the tube slid over the hook and prevented it from getting any purchase.

Ended up 4 fish landed for 9 takes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.