Fly Fishing Forum banner

Back From Bermuda

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
Well, I just got back last night from my long weekend in Bermuda. Fishing wasn’t the main objective, but as my girlfriends coworkers pointed out, the fishing rod seemed to be my “pacifier” and was always strapped to my backpack. I had a long morning all to myself one day and rented a scooter. Following leads from Mr. Fix and Juro, I headed to the south side of the island and along up the west cost to Long Bay. At Long Bay I hopped out and headed on to the small flat there. Ended up seeing only two bonefish that took the high road after spotting me! Had a few shots at some nice mullet schools too, good casting practice for Monomoy. Also saw a really cool sea turtle idling along on the flats.

I eventually left there and headed south to somerset bridge where there were some explosions of bait. I hopped on to one of the abandoned train track pillars to watch an amazing show of blazing blue attacking some bait. I never managed to hook one, but they were awesome to watch. I think they had to be some sort of jack, although I couldn’t tell which kind. I did manage a few snappers and some ghoulish looking groundfish no more than a foot long that had a mouthful of munchers!

The rest of the weekend I spent casting to reef structure and whatnot at the various beaches. I landed a few more snappers and a pompano looking fish that I’ve yet to ID. They were everywhere zipping around in the surf…very neat to watch. So all in all, not a bad fishing weekend but definitely a BEAUTIFUL island. Here are some photos from the weekend:

Black eyes of Pilchard on flats:

Parrotfish with my new camera underwater housing:

View from the hotel restaurant at our Sunday Lunch:

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, was frustrating, but with the show her company put on, I was able to forget about it mostly:hehe: :eyecrazy: !

Sounds like the maiden voyage of Pressure Drop went well...I too am hoping to tag along for another adventure!

Nick

#6 ·
No prob....there were literally thousands on the flat with me when I snapped that picture. It was pretty cool, their eyes stood out starkly against the bottom.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info...very cool fish, and they did fight well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.