Fly Fishing Forum banner

Freedom

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  DEERHAAWK 
#1 ·
Good evening,
Recently, I was contacted by a fellow angler. After swaping fishing trips, the last couple of runs, and what flys held there own against the onslaut, he asked if I had been to a fishery that is close (20 miles) to where I live. I replied no, and said that the last time I was there, it was overun with bait and lure casters. This particular stretch of water, though not a "Big" stream, is of fair size and strenth. As far as catch-worthiness, on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 3-4. It has no C+R status, only your run of the mill garden variety ODFW regs.
So I took a drive. And upon ariving the recent rains had it flowing beautifully. As you can see from the pics, there are alot of potential spots, and plenty of open space for casting!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
FREEDOM

Ironically, I had never fished this lower section, always sticking to the more remote upper section of the stream, away from the crowds. As I walked the trail, I found myself shaking my head in disbelief that this stretch of water had so much potential!
But you see, there is more to this story. For the river that you see in these photos, this natural flow from the Oregon Coast Range, spends most of its life traped below 15+ feet of water in this section alone, because the stream bed that this water creates, is damed up at one end, making a resivour to serve the irrigation needs of farms in the area.
Bottom line...
For every dam that is built or exists, a fishery, animal, bird, insect habatat is lost or hurt. Dams are barriers, lets look at alternatives!
Deerhawk

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.