Fly Fishing Forum banner

Critique emerger pattern?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zimflo. 
#1 · (Edited)
I need a little bit of feed back.. I worked hard on this pattern (roughly 6 min):eek: and I believe it is my own design..

Its tied on a size 14-16 hopper hook
Peacock herl stripped quill body
Peacock herl thorax
Brown hackle
Poly wingpost
black thread
I would epoxy the body, but I have none :(

I didnt think a tail was neccessary, because I want it to sit low in the water, like an emerger obviously.. Oh, and the two little fibers near the hook bend are herl fibers I missed while stripping them.. They kinda kill the beauty in the photo, but really there hardly noticable..

another, this one an adapted H.L. Varient.
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5065/p1010021pv5.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good, although I would tie it with one size smaller hackle and make the wing tuft shorter and sparser. One question though: Why would you want to epoxy the body? To make it more durable, simply coat the underbody thread with a good dollup of cement and wrap the stripped peacock over it while the cement is wet. This is far easier and faster than messing with epoxying it.

#4 ·
I like the idea of putting epoxy on the body. I tie some biot midges and they only last for about one fish so I may try to epoxy them. Your emerger looks like a klinkhammer to me. Is that for Caddis or some mayfly emerger? You might also try a tuft of hares foot for the post, that material holds a bubble when fished just under the surface.

#5 ·
I was just messing around with materials and hadnt really decided exactly what it looks like.. but Id'e say it looks good as a mayfly. Mabey Ill tie it a bit fatter in the body, and with somewhat more green materials and make it a rockworm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.