Fly Fishing Forum banner

SA reels for spey rods

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  kush 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the SA System2 or the Mastery reels make good spey reels?I am looking at the 10/11 and the 12/13 sizes.I've heard the SA reels are pretty durable and reasonably inexpensive.I have a 14ft 9/10 rod.

#2 ·
Tony, I used SA reels in those sizes for years. They are pretty rugged and put up with a lot of abuse and neglect. My only concern, the caliper drag would occaisionally dis-engage on a hard running bonefish and the spool would go into free-spin - big risk of overrun and major birds nest in the backing. This was probably a result of my neglect rather than a design fault.

I've heard that steel head run pretty hard too?

I would look at the Redingtons - much lighter and a better piece of engineering.

Just my 2c.

#3 ·
SA reels are a thumbs up here

Yo know, Ii've heard about SA reels doing the disc popping, but none of mine have ever done it. Ii have twwo older reels (one iis actualy a Hardy maade SA reel) the other loks llike most newer models, just a bit different. Then I haave a couple newer models. I currently run a SA system 2 1011 on my 14' 9wt. Holds my RIO WC 91011 no problem with plenty of backing. So far I've hhad no pprblems with th system 2's. BUT, the system 2L is another story. Have had some problems with teh interanl plastic parts they've put in. But, you're looking in the biger sizes anyways, so it should be no problem at all. Iif you haave the money, Ii'd recomendd the SA's. My system 2 7/8 has been nothiing but a trooper on big stelies.

#4 ·
Tony,

I blew up one of these (while fighting a 40 lb chinook in the salt - I was mooching). While they are decent, I think there are alot of other choices out there that may be better suited for your speyrod, for instance the Reddington you are asking about. I also use the Lamson - L7, once again a good reel at a good price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.