Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bahamas Bonefish tourism

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MartyG 
#1 ·
I (spend quite a bit of time on the AUTEC base on Andros, and) am noticing a precipitous decline in numbers of Bonefishers visiting Andros. The decline seems an order of magnitude compared to say, 10 years ago, never mind the peak during the tech boom. Fishing seems as good as ever; I'd even say the fish are considerably 'dumber' then they used to be.
Is bonefishing just sliding in popularity, or is there some other reason for this (huge) decrease in bonefishing visitors to Andros?

#2 ·
I am not sure but it could have something to do with the proposed fly fishing regulations. News of that got around and I know some that canceled their trips because they did not know how it would effect them. Some have also decided that if Bahamians didn't want them there they were not going there. There was a lot of talk about it on the DIY Bonefishing site and others. I didn't think it would effect Andros so much because there is not as much DIY fishing there but islands like Eleuthera have felt the results.

It didn't stop me from making a trip to Great Inagua in October but, though I don't think the proposed regulations will make it through parliament as written, I am going to wait to see before planning another trip.

#3 ·
I took a trip to Eleuthera a few weeks ago and the fishing was great - even though the tides were bad. Full moon didn't help.

And I used a guide for the first time. Paul Petty. A terrific experience. He and others aren't really keen about the guys who use a guide to learn the hot spots and then direct a self-guided trip. I told him I'd be happy to pay a fee for a fishing permit. A reasonable fee with proceeds closely tied to the fisheries.

The initial government proposal was overkill, ill advised and impossible to enforce in the outer islands. The second plan is more moderate and will gain speedy acceptance.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.