Fly Fishing Forum banner

Juicy shrimp patterns

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
This is sort of a "bump-up" from another thread where mention was made of a fly by someone named Jim Bender. The comment was "...flies that create big juicy impressions of shrimp or shrimp-like creatures like Jim Bender's fly...".

I don't fished Monomy and I am not familiar with that fly. Can anyone please elaborate and/or identify a source for a pattern and/or post a picture of the fly?
Thanks

#3 ·
Jim Bender is a phlats phishing black belt!
He's got a shop in Worcester (Woostah!) but spends his free time standing in cold water waving a long silly stick in the air...
right place, right time, right fly...'catches lotza phish!
Big Dave can attest, Jim has broken the code...
Here are some basic shrimp ideas from Jim's fertile mind and productive vise!
Essentially, SMALL bonefish flys of tans and olives, carefully presented to passing stripes.
I tyed them but they are knockoffs of the kind Flatz Lower40 Commander Bender.:cool:

#6 ·
That top fly looks great Pete. How did you do the carapce? Sili skin?

The cat's outta the bag! JB + scampi = lotsa ripped lips.

Any tan or olive bonefish pattern should work. Like Pete said fishing these little gems is all about the presentation. I usually spaz out too much to do a good job of it but they can be deadly on midsummer finicky feeders if you show it to them right.

Looking forward to refining my presentation with a floating line this summer.

#7 ·
A little sily skin...

...goes a long way!
Hi Dave...see you in ElbowTown...

The silly skin extended a bit farther up to form a small collar but the fly was involved in a phracas and pieces were torn away.
A little mono thread wrapped over the soft translucent skin will yield a segmented body that calls for garlic and/or hot mustard...:smokin:

Snowin' HARD...Roads are BAD...Good day to stay in and tye some more...'will post when they're done...

#9 ·
These tiny morsels have "dropper" written all over them...

The mono wraps over the sili skin does a nice job insinuating the articulated carapace...
IMHO The trimmed plastic bag material works just fine, but the sili skin has my vote...
LESS filling...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.