Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cheap Waders

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Stopped in Buiding 19 1/2 on the Lynnway. They have a good number of pairs of Hodgeman Waders both breathable and neoprene for about 30 bucks.

I am holding out for a brand new pair from probably one of the sponsors to get the good guarantee etc. But I thought I would mention it for anyone on the tighter budget. They look great. Not sure about guarantees.

Lefty

#2 ·
Lefty said:
Stopped in Buiding 19 1/2 on the Lynnway. They have a good number of pairs of Hodgeman Waders both breathable and neoprene for about 30 bucks.

I am holding out for a brand new pair from probably one of the sponsors to get the good guarantee etc. But I thought I would mention it for anyone on the tighter budget. They look great. Not sure about guarantees.

Lefty
The famous Jerry Ellis "Thrity Day, No Hard Time, Money Back Guarantee" is all that'll apply to these. Lefty, you say these LOOK great??? (kinda challenging to believe in that emporium :whoa: )

#4 ·
My Simms goretex waders are finishing up their fourth season of hardcore fishing. I sure paid a lot that first year, but not a penny since. I would have to say they have delivered on their promise, and they aren't done yet. When you factor in comfort, performance and reliability it was well worth it. It's nice to get something good cheap, when you can get it - but that seems so rare compared to the times I hear myself saying "pennywise, pound foolish" when I get lured into a bargain buy.

Some might be luckier than I when it comes to good stuff cheap, I tend to get my good stuff the hard way :(

#7 ·
If we can send missions to Mars and cure incurable diseases why can`t we make a wader that dosen`t leak? I`ve had expensive and I`ve had cheapo`s and they all suck! This is not rocket science, why can`t they get it right, I`ve never had a pair that made it thru the second season!
Slinger

#8 ·
Be very, very careful of Hodgemans at that price. They are probably seconds with poor seams, especially in the foot. Otherwise, they would be much more expensive than the price you quoted. The wholesale price is more than double this price.

I, for one, would not buy them because I wouild be afraid that they have seams that did not pass inspection. Which means that they will leak if not initially, within a very few trips out. If you must buy them, coat each seam (and I mean each seam on the waders) with aquaseal to be on the safe side and keep the seams from leaking.

#9 ·
Flytyer hit it right on the head IMHO; the difference between most waders is the quality of the seams, not the material in between.

I don't wear a lot of neoprene anymore (limited winter steelheading) but when I did, it was obvious that the neoprene itself was about the same between the $400 and $80 waders but the construction was the big difference. You wanted brands that sealed their seams inside and out, double seam-sealed in/out in other words.

You could find great waders at a great price w/ single seam seals only and stitching on the other side at 1/3 the price, but these would quickly give in to wear and tear. I contacted a local scuba suit maker about getting a new pair of cheap waders sealed to see if it would save me money, and it wold save about $20 bucks - not worth the trouble. I bought my streamlines that week, since out of business but at the time one of the truly solid waders out there in terms of seam construction.

I started the goretex adventure the same way with a bargain brand, they leaked right away and I quickly returned them and bit the big $$ bullet for the Simms.

.02, your results may vary

#10 ·
Ask anyone who has the Sims, and they will tell you that there is no other wader in contention. Sims has come out with a non Gore breathable and we will see if they are any better than the rest of the cheapos.
I used to think that being wet and uncomfortable was the only way to go fishing. Red Balls, Streamlines, Orvis breathables....

#11 ·
The reddington breathables are OK but I've had to send them back at least every 2 years. They have fantastic service and send you a new pair each time. Most of the problems I've had were with the seam where the neoprene sock meets the wader material. The last pair I got back was a new style with extra reinforcing in the knees and integrated gaiters. The new style doesn't breathe as well where the material is doubled but they have held up better than the originals.

#13 ·
Sims has come out with some "inexpensive" waders to compete with the likes of Orvis, Hodgemans,Redington etc. They will be just over a hundred bucks, and they look to be made from the same material as the others.
The rest of the Sims line will be GoreTex. I think it is important to make ssure that people know/ask what the breathable material is in the waders. A "material like goretex" is not goretex.

#16 ·
Darth Weyders...

I personally have had great success with the LL BEAN products. The Immersion Tech Gore Tex is fantastic and you CANT beat the warranty; Unconditional LIFETIME.... They're a little more, but definitely worth the extra. The ole addage.. you get what you pay for is true.

:hehe: Paul

Attachments

#17 ·
More than one use for quality waders

My Simms goretex waders are finishing up their fourth season of hardcore fishing.
That sounds familiar. Mine are so funky at this point in the season that I use them to develop a chum line. My Simms waders don't really ever wear out, but I eventually have to burn them. No wonder I have all the cats hanging out around my garage.

John

#18 ·
John

Believe it or not I have a pair of Wardell Goretex waders that I bought in BC in 1986 that are still functional. I patched them once they are now a back up to my other waders but are really excellent quality. I think Wardell was bought out by another company and they are marketed under a different name now.

Tough for me to get into them though now since I have put an extra 15 pounds over the last 15 years. :hehe:

FYI, I wash the waders out a least a couple of times each year since I do not want any bad human odors provided down stream to our highly scent oriented steelhead and salmon. I doubt if they would be attracted to my scents. :D

Hal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.