Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Beach Bait Tip

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
I saw the BIGGEST sand eels I've ever seen off South Beach - so big that I wonder if they are even sand eels. Had one fish bust at the boat chasing one out of the water in 36'

The perfect fly to match them would be a 6" sluggo in Arkansas Shiner color although bubblegum pink was the top producer on the boat followed by natural colors. The successful retrieve was a 15 - 20 second drop followed by a slow raise/ retireve jig.

No fly or light tackle gear on board due to a day OTW chasing tuna but we still lost multiple fish on our lightest tuna rods due to trying to balance heavier drags & rods against pulling hooks when trying to stop some of these heavy runners.

I didn't see any fishermen at the lighthouse yesterday AM or on SB in the PM but did see the same bird/ fish behavior within casting distance of the beach. THe terns fly like there are bluefish under them but if you cast into that area & let it sink you will find stripers to get you into the 40 club.

Good luck,

Roop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.