Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flies for jacks, bones!!!

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mitch 
#1 ·
Hey guys im going to Islas Mujeres in a few weeks. Its right off the coast of Cancun. Im gonna be flyfishing with my 8wt. Gonna go after what ever will bite. Hopefully some bones, jacks, and small perms. What flies should I use for these waters. Or if you what will catch these fish. I basically know for the bones and perms. (Clousers, Crabs...) But what about the jacks and dont you mainly catch these in the surf? Dont know too much about em. Any input would be great. Thanks.

#2 ·
Jacks

I have had success with clousers in the 2-4 range for the smaller guys (under 15-lbs).
Chartreuse/wh, throw some flash in it
Poppers in any color. Strip fast
Crease flies. I made some from thin white sheet foam. I used some Sally Hansen's chrome nail polish to paint the body and gives a nice flash on bright days. You can really make these flies do amazing things with a fly rod (~20-25 feet out, get the fly line out of the water and pull just fast enough that the fly skips across the water. I've seen a small pod of Jacks circle back only to be scared off by the barracuda that wanted the fly even more).
Epoxy flies (in #1 hooks) that has ultra hair body and flash. I let these sink down in the hold then make them struggle back up. Usually flushes a fish out from it's hole in the coral.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.