Fly Fishing Forum banner

drift sock?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  fishboyicu812 
#1 ·
OK, this is for my canoe, not a yak, but the principle is the same.

Has anyone used a drift sock with their non-motorized boat? I like to drift fish, but usually the wind or current gets me moving too fast or irregularly to make it terribly effective. Would a sock help me?

Any products or thrifty home-remedies that you know of?

I usually bring a small anchor, but you can cover more water mor effectively drifting, I think.

thanks.

#2 ·
never tried it, but how about a stuff sack from an old sleeping bag? I once saw a fellow member, the Roopster, fill one with sand and anchor his boat. Ingenious.

Nick

#3 ·
Dewey,

I have used them in conjunction with a small skiff...mostly for stillwater trout fishing. The Scots call them a drogue. We fished mostly higland lochs where the wind would blow you right off the water without one and the drift sock worked like a charm.

Ours was basically a mesh bag about 3.5 feet wide and 5 feet deep. You could probably make one yourself but the key will be constructing it in a manner that keeps the "mouth" of the bag open and controlling your drift. Dont know if there would be safety considerations, etc but I'm sure you've thought of that :smokin:

#5 · (Edited)
I picked one up last season for my yak and love it.

I have it rigged on a loop which runs from bow to stern so I can adjust the drift angle - wind always coming acrosss the non-casting shoulder and speed slowed to enable a nice presentation.

Check out our sponsors - give them a call - they probably have them in stock.

My .02c.

#7 ·
Pete

Not had that problem yet fro the yak yet but its sure to happen someday - had it happen once or twice back in the trout days when using a drogue (a.k.a. big drift sock) from a drifting boat. If it does happen just pull the drift sock line in. If your lucky the fish will still be attached - otherwise take a breath (or count to 10), untangle leader/re-attach fly etc. and get back to the fun. For me the benefits far outweigh potential downsides. Come to think of it we run the same risks when playing fish from an anchored boat or around any other structure manmade or otherwise. It all adds to the fun in the end :D

#8 ·
I often use a five gallon bucket thrown over the side to slow my drift, especially while flounder fishing here in the Chspke Bay. This probably would not work well on a kayak(lack of storage) but in a canoe I am sure you could find some room. It also comes in handy at the end of the day when time comes to hike all your gear back to your vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.