Fly Fishing Forum banner

Teflon's Diver

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Here's instructions on tying my version of a Dahlberg diver, named Teflon's Diver in honor of me. (Hey, I always wanted a fly named after me! :) )

You can change up the colors of the marabou, bucktail, and deer hair to your liking. I just happen to like this color pattern.

Materials:
Standard 2/0 hook, also can use a 0 streamer hook
Olive marabou
White bucktail
Olive bucktail
Yellow bucktail
Olive
Deer hair

1. Start by tying a large piece of marabou just ahead of the bend in the hook. It should extend about 1-1.5" past the bend. Don't bother trimming the tag end, just wrap it onto the hook to create some body.
2. Take a small amount of yellow bucktail and tie it onto the bottom of the hook about 1/2 way down the shank to form the mid-section of the fly. It should slightly overlap with the tag end of the marabou.
3. Layer a small amount of white bucktail on the bottom of the fly, tying it on just in front of the yellow, to create the belly of the fly.
4. Take a small amount of Olive bucktail and tie it onto the top of the fly to create the profile. This should be tied on at the same place as the yellow or slightly in front of it.
5. Take your deer hair and start spinning it on to create the diving head.
6. Trim the deer hair to shape. I like to make a small pointed head and trim the bottom of almost all deer hair, but leave a big untrimmed bunch of deer hair on top behind the head.

I think the key to this fly is the marabou. It really creates a fly that has a lot of movement in the water, even when it's sitting still.

See less See more
#3 ·
Unfortunately both my digital cameras are dead, but I can take a picture with my phone camera tonight/tomorrow when I tie up a new one. It won't be the greatest quality but it should give you a pretty good idea.

#6 ·
Sorry for the delay, here's a photo. I had to use my camera phone so the quality is rather poor, but it'll at least give you an idea of the shape. The majority of the tail of the fly is olive marabou.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.