Fly Fishing Forum banner

What did Santa bring you?

4K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  mcurtiss 
#1 ·
So were you on the nice list or the naughty list this year? What did Santa bring you?

I must have been on the naughty list. I didn't get anything fishing related! But I did get a drill press for my wood shop, which I really wanted. And a GPS from the in-laws. I guess that could be considered fishing related...

#2 ·
Fishin related...

Bears den $200 gift card from my son

LLBean wading jacket and 15 yr old single malt (springbank) from my daughter and son-in-law to bring out the child in me.

Fishing The Cape gift cert from cousin/Godfather

Non fishin related...

Socks from my wife (I got her cookie sheets and a snow shovel)

#7 ·
Well - did great (as it appears several others did too) - but a long wait till spring to use some of it.

I got a 4 piece TFO Signature Series rod (9' - 5 wt). which according to the supplier in Canada these in 4 piece are made from the same blanks as Professional Series with some improvements in guides. It is fitted the rod with the Pflueger Summit reel and a Rio Select Trout line.

I also started my Fly Tying adventures by ordering a Danvise which is still caught in the holiday mail.

Under the tree was a couple issues of FlyFusion (seems a good magazine where the writing still outdoes the ads), a fly fishing calendar, and for those days when I am on the lakes an Eagle Cuda 168 depth/fish finder.

Considering myself lucky. Here's to an early spring!

#8 ·
I forgot one important thing! My father-in-law got a pontoon boat from his wife, and me being his one and only fishing partner, I guess that means I got one too! It came complete with an electric trolling motor, leaning bar, pedestal seats, and just about every option he could want. Guess who was responsible for helping his wife pick out everything he needed? :cool:

NewFlyFisher said:
I also started my Fly Tying adventures by ordering a Danvise which is still caught in the holiday mail.
I got one of those from my wife last Christmas. You'll be very happy with it.

#10 ·
Well Fred -

I am breathing a sigh of relief in reading about socks and shovels, because I was feeling a little introspective after your recent quote...

life long pursuits that require persistance and nurturing
because it made me realize that nurturing and persistence are two-way streets and only as meaningful as the way they are received, not solely a function of the giver.

Clearly you are in a very good relationship, God bless you both!

#14 ·
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

#15 ·
I got a Garmin street finder so now I can find my way into (and probably, more importantly, out of) the many UDL's both near and far.

Now, no more missing that critical sidestreet/junction on the darkest of nights, only to arrive too late to catch the best of the tide. :D

#16 ·
I got a Garmin GPSMap handheld :D . I'll probably get the city streets and the inland lakes software to help with trips to new places. It will also be handy to have if I'm on the flats and the fog rolls in. Only happened to me once and it was on a dropping tide but it was still pretty freaky.

Q

#20 ·
I got some winter reading -"The Somme", by Martin Gilbert, "The Match", By Mark Frost", "The Day of Battle" By Rick Atkinson ( about the war in Italy and the second in the victory triology after "An Army at Night " about North Africa), "Temples, Tombs and Hieroglyphics" by Barbara Mertz (History of Ancient Egypt) and "The Real History of the American Revolution" by Alan Axelrod.... and Finally an real authentic NFL football...my first authentic football.:)

#21 ·
Hey Penguin
Did you really get a Mako?
Wow. What is it like?
I have a couple on order that should be shipped soon.

Juro
In Scotland the lump of coal is used at Hogmanay. The dark haired stranger is supposed to bring a piece of coal and be rewarded with a wee dram. It's agreat way to get free drinks, assuming that one has dark hair.

From Santa I got 3 new frying pans and the honour of having to cook 2 very large dinner parties.

#22 ·
Mako...a special Judy "the vapor blaster" Covert DarkSide Edition...

It doesn't get any better...unless, of course, you've drank the Danielsson cool aid...:razz:

#23 ·
I got a copy of "The Art of Surfcasting with LURES by Hromin for myself and one of my sons. Perhaps someone can provide the translator between the lures he mentions and various flies. My interest was that he seems to fully understand what he is doing.

Also got "A Nation of Counterfeiters" by Mihn. Interesting to me, but I also liked "Salt".

I noted that FredA didn't get any trolling gear, but I think he has all that he needs.

Gordon

#24 ·
GH, 1:02PM...lunch is over. What are you doing on the net? You're not actually using your vacation time up, are you?

Perhaps someone can provide the translator between the lures he mentions and various flies.
JFBasser "knows all things", a bonafide expert. Let me know your translation needs and I'm sure I can get answers from him.

Penguins girlz know the way to a mans heart.

#25 ·
I just read Zeno's book myself..great read ...offer up a few rough translations

Polaris Poppers: Crease flies or Bangers

Metal lipped Swimming Plugs: Big Deceivers

Jigs: big half & halfs

Plastic minnow baits: Sliders and bendbacks

Super Strike Little Neck Sinking Popper fished as a swimmer: Snake fly

Needlefish / Sluggos: Flatwings

Pencil Poppers: tough one

Colors...stick with the basics and don't be afraid to use white at night :biggrin:

and....for big fish Move it slow :) and keep it simple and fish where the big uns live

#26 ·
Penguin said:
From the Girlz...Lucy and Dingo... :biggrin:
You need to dull that up a bit before you scare all the fish away!!! :cool:

I forgot about one present (well actually two) I got myself. It wasn't exactly for Christmas but I used the birth of my son as an excuse to pick up two fine bottles of single malt (Talisker and Cragganmore). I've always liked Talisker but this is the first time I've bought Cragganmore. It's delicious! :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.