Fly Fishing Forum banner

What did Santa bring you?

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
What fishing-related items did Santa bring you this year? I got a few things:

1. A Danvise fly tying vise from my wife. It was very, very badly needed, after 2 seasons of tying I was still using the cheapo one that came with my starter kit! So far I've tied a half dozen flies with it and I love it!

2. A new wood frame oval landing net. My wife gave me a relatively inexpensive one last year that I somehow lost without ever using it! My father-in-law gave me a Stevens rubber bag model this year. I can't find any info on them except it looks like they're made in Maine and they're pretty pricey. I've always wanted one of the rubber bag models, but I could never justify spending so much money on one. I only found one place that sells these nets online and they're $90 or so. :whoa:

3. A huge novelty lure. Another present from my father-in-law, one of those 3 foot long lures they sell at Dicks for $50. It was funny because I gave him one too and said "It's one of those things every fisherman wants, but you'll never buy for yourself." On my way out the door on Sunday from his house my mother-in-law says "Close your eyes and stick out your arms."

#5 ·
I got a nice set of binoculars for the boat and a monocular for my kayak and wade fishing. I also got a gift certificate to the Kittery Trading Post and a set of thermal long underwear for cold weather fishing.

The optics are things that I specifically asked for, the others were given to me as original ideas from others. I'm happy with all of it.

#8 ·
I got an 8 rod wooden rod rack from Cabelas from my wife - which was assembled and drilled to the wall by 9am xmas morning. first thing i said to Kris was that 'there's a few empty spaces there........."

also, from my family in the UK i got $130 of amazon.com vouchers which is pretty cool as through their associate companies i can buy all sorts of fly fishing stuff.

its gonna go on some new flying fisherman sunglasses, a Teeny TS-400 fly line and a okuma dry fly box.

Mark.

#11 ·
I gavemy good friend Peter, that is battling Parkinsons that some needed casting lessons. His line hand is not functioning well. I worked with him for three months. Showed him how to haul and he has improved. Found an anomynous gift under the tree. A Boga Grip. I suspect it came from Peter. Pete gave me use of his boat for a full day for the Fall Clave. The Boga Grip will come in handy if the blues continue to increase their numbers. Also got myself a new rod. Rivendell 10# brand new for $47.00. Nice rod for the money.

Phil

#13 ·
Camera

I also got the new Olympus Stylus 720 SW camera. Its 7.1mp, pocket sized, waterproof to ten feet and shockproof to 5 feet. So far the pictures look decent but haven't printed any yet. Should be great for keeping in the shirt pocket on the flats or on the boat and not having to worry about a splash or two without the bulk of the diving case.

Sean

#14 ·
I want to turn this around a bit:

What did you influence Santa to bring?

I have two daughters. Both of whom I love dearly, but both of whom have shown no interest in fishing, let alone fly fishing, since their early years.

I feel I need to pass a torch (or whatever). I have stashed closets full of tackle, that, though valuable, may never see the light of day as my interest in trout changed to interests in steelhead, salmon, and zippy salt water types.

When the son of a dear friend of mine suddenly evinced interest in fly fishing [abeit after passing the bar and thus ready to pursue the meaningful in life], I was touched when he came to me for basic introduction and instruction in fly casting and fly fishing [poor choice, but I was the only one he really knew].

So. How to honor and respect this interest. I have a Model Perfect from the Devonian -- agate line guide, ribbed foot, the whole nine yards. Trout size (3 and something).

I inherited it from a grand uncle who passed it on to me because I was the only one in his circle of family who fished. I've cherished it for more than 50 years, but it's time to pass it on.

So it goes to the new fly fisher on the block. With attributes and a lot of history.

Anybody out there in fly fish land had a similar epiphany or whatever?

Happy New Year! It is a very Merry Christmas,

Cheers,

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.