Fly Fishing Forum banner

Going fishin'

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  t_richerzhagen 
#1 ·
Yeah thats right I'm going fishing on Sunday.

#4 ·
Sorry, but

"we" only post when we either catch obscene #s of fish or those of truely amazing size. :lildevl: Since there are very few 20lb winter hatchery fish in the Sky and 1 is a very big number, I might not post again until spring. :wink:

Seriously, I was out fishing yesterday. Wanted to try out a new line system on a shorter spey rod and explore some water on the upper Sky since I'd heard there were some brats in.

My highlight was getting checked by the youngest WDFW enforcement officer I've ever met. He and his lady companion were very polite - i wish I'd asked if someone had found the $$$ to hire more enforcement (or were raiding the Police Explorer Scouts for recruits :hihi: ) but I was still in shock at being checked (first time on the Sky and I've fished it many years now).

A gear guy fishing floats in the swirly tailout got a nice chromer buck just after I arrived. The water I was fishing was in great shape and I had one brief encounter, but the weight suggested more Dolly-ish preportions. Weather was perfect - cloudy and calm.

Keep those hooks sharp,

DS

#5 ·
Sean,

I am not real concerned about it and I don't really care if you catch fish or not or where you fish for that matter. Just seems most of the posting here is some bitch or another about what some agency is doing or not doing. I was wondering if that is all anybody does. Glad you fish once in awhile. Nice hobby. Might give it a try myself. Oh, and glad to see someone has taken up the job of spokeman for everyone else. :chuckle:

#6 ·
Kerry,

I'm sorry that you don't get all the bitchin. I THOUGHT YOU KNEW! It's just code for where we are fishing, name of fly, and what we got. Like the code for tomorrow is. Bush sucks on Monday but me, Dick and Captin Karl are going to drink river water on the downward slide. I repeat Tomorrow is the downward slide at 0530. So screw the republicans catch a democrate by the toe and send him on one of my guide trips to N. Korea. And I repeat I am not fishing tomorrow nor is Sinktip. Hope all of you are not fishing tomorrow at least in a school of less than 6 people.

Kerry we all really do fish here and I bet it's more than those jokers over at steel******.xxx. You have been around these parts to know some of us fish on a daily basis.
Love Ya
latter
OC

#7 ·
I like to fish!

Wet, Windy, Cold, Skunked? You must have been on the Skagit!

I am going fishing on the Sandy on Wednesday at Oxbow Park. I will be using an Anderson 13'3" 7wt with a 7/8/9 windcutter. The first 15ft of the line will be removed and a clear sinktip attached. Then I will add a 5' sinking leader. Finally, I will attach an orange prawn pattern. If you see me at the end of the day I will probably be cold, skunked, smelling like cigar smoke and Highland Park scotch, but I will be happy. There you have it without secrets or gripe; just the way it should be.

#8 · (Edited)
Empathy...

I have been stuck at home for most of the month but hopefully I will be able to get out later this week. I am usually able to fish as much as I want and when I want but lately there have been a few more responsibilitys thrown my way so I have a degree of empathy for those of you who are required to be places other than the river of your choice (ie working and such). :chuckle:
You know I love bitchin about just darn near anything but all in moderation. What I really dislike is somebody spilling the beans on a run of fish I am working on!!! :lildevl:

#9 ·
Bitchin'?

Everyone knows I bitch more than anyone else...just not on this board! :tsk_tsk:

That being said...I've been out two days per week (Monday and either Wednesday or Thursday) each week since the end of September...even braved the crowds on a couple bonus days on Saturday or Sunday to fish with a fishing buddy or two. :eek:

Fished on Thanksgiving, and I'll be out there on Christmas morning for a few hours, too. :hihi:

I'd bore you guys with stories of all the fish I've been catching...but who wants to hear that from a dyed in the wool bait fisherman?

:Eyecrazy:

Fish on...

Todd

#10 · (Edited)
gives us hope

If bait guys can catch them, at least there are fish in the water and there is a chance my fly will entice one of them. Thanks for the encouragement. I prefer fishing to talking about it, but sometimes have to settle with talking.

#11 ·
Monday was a wonderful day on the water. Temps in the upper 70's maybe low 80's and the sunshine came from high above. I fished with some truely great people who were in the holiday spirit and shared single malt and cigars. Met many gear fishermen along the river who told us they were converting over to fly for their new year resolution because they were catching way too many fish on eggs. Many of them also said that they were sorry for belonging to SPORTSMEN FOR BUSH and were now planning to join the WSC as a better alternative.

We fished very hard while fishing in waters with two to three feet vis. I enjoyed fishing or should I say flinging, Kush would have been proud, my new 15ft 9 inch fancy T&T spey rod. On second thought maybe Kush wouldn't have been so proud but maybe he would have been running for cover. Ed Ward was on the river yesterday using the now famous Skagit system of casting. Watching him brought back many fine memories of how I fished when I first moved back here from Hawaii many years ago. Heavy weighted flies chucking and ducking but I must say Ed does it better than I ever did. God I used to catch a lot of steelhead back then but am glad that I fish the traditional way now and have no guilty feelings about what I'm doing. :lildevl:

What a great day, truely a great day. The only thing that would have made it better if all of you were out there with us enjoying Gods bounty and goodness.

#13 · (Edited)
Oc, Welcome To The Dark Side!

It’s about time you joined the dark side, I was thinking that Rich Simms had put something in your Single Malt or your Cigar! :tsk_tsk:
Now all you need is a “Skagit Line” set-up (don’t let those guys tell you a long belly lines are better!). :hihi:
Then you need a pass to fish up North and your set (if you need a pass PM me and I’ll work on it for ya). :hihi:
Once you’re all set maybe we can go fishing (with a “Skagit Line” set-up) together, and I like fishing two to three foot of vis! :cool:

#17 ·
Welcome to the Board

I have fished the Ringold area a few times in the past, but earlier in the year. It is big water and you will need heavy sink tips to get down. You will not be casting long distances, as most of the steelhead hold in closer to the bank. Depending on water level you may or may not have room for a backcast, so ability to spey cast is good.

The Clearwater Fly Shop in Kennewick might have more up to date information. Please let us know how you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.