Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quintessentially salmon fishin

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Guess I wasn't the only one with hookups and seeing lotsa fish!

copied from the Telegram column without permission:

Salmon still hitting in Stillwater

Tuesday, November 14, 2000

By Joe Michniewicz
Telegram & Gazette Outdoors Reporter

The heavy rains of last week ignited the spawning run of Wachusett Reservoir landlocked salmon into the Stillwater River where they supplied anglers some great
fishing. Many fishermen reported hooking two to three fish
per outing over the weekend. One said, “you could walk across the river on the backs of the salmon.”
As of yesterday, the fish were still in the river and with a few days of showers predicted, the action should hold up. The fish are taking worms and nightcrawlers drifted along the bottom but the “take” is very subtle and easily missed.
Several anglers have noted that many of the female salmon are still not ready to extrude eggs. Joseph Kacevich of Worcester took a fish of 2 pounds, 4 ounces out of the river and Tod Arsenault, also of Worcester took his first salmon.
Fishing for rainbow trout in the reservoir is also excellent. Many Wachusett regulars say they have never
seen it as good at this time of the year. Derrick Johnson of Lancaster took three averaging two pounds. Bob Blanchette of Dracut brought in one over two pounds.
Lake trout fishing in the impoundment remains excellent. They are being hooked as close as 15-20 feet
from shore. Carl Hewitt of Sterling caught one of 4
pounds, 6 ounces. Morgan Murphy, 10, of Worcester
caught his first laker, which weighed 2 pounds, 4.5
ounces. Ed Grampietro Jr. of Worcester brought in a
couple at 2.5 pounds each.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am considering hitting the Quinipoxet, Wachusett and if the conditions are right the Stillwater once again next time the weather permits. The three could be hit in a morning if one didn't dilly dally. I am sure the rainbows are cruising for a bruising in the reservoir, and I love fishing that clear deep drinking water. Access would be limited to those points and shoals where one could cast from shore.

The other two venues might be fun, I'd opt for an elk or deer hair dry with a nymph dropper. Cap it off with a short stack at that diner and you'd be pretty sated by noon or one in the afternoon.

5wt seems about right, sinking line in the lake with streamers and nasty marabou buggers. Probably a laker in the cards too.

Thanks for the info last weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.