Fly Fishing Forum banner

Office Party and merrymaking

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jared 
#1 ·
Well we had an office party today and boy am I stuffed. One guy brought in a Orange Ricotta Pie (sweet dessert) Wow was it good!!!!
Anyway...how far we've comm from the days of either fishing or thinking about getting back out there to fish again. I spent last winter preparing for fishing and learning to tie. This winter is different, I need to make up for this past seasons excesses. What a shift of gears. It's nice to reconnect with all the family and friends that fishing seperated me from. It's like wow- I'm married??

Worlds away from stomping on the eel grass.....or casting into the surf at PI before work...or casting from the bow of ol' Double Happiness...or sitting on Rip Ryders boat with flyrods pointing high ready to storm the beach like the 1st division at Normandy.
How you all doing?

Terry

See less See more
#2 ·
Excesses? You are making me feel guilty... compared to me you were a homebody.

I feel the same way, lots of face time with the wife and family. I ought to have no problem getting them good and sick of it by spring - "go fishing or something, will yah?". "yes dear" zzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooommmmmmm!!!!!

#3 ·
Well, It's the shortest day, 7:11 AM sunrise, 4:11 PM sunset (EST). It's all downhill from here. By my estimates we're ~125 days from Striper Season. I'm amazed at how much you can get done around the house when you're not Fishing (or Traveling to Fish) 20-40 hours per week. I haven't even done much fishing related stuff; Haven't tied in weeks, I'm only 50 pages into Ed Mitchelle's book, & I've briefly scanned "The Fishermans Ocean." Oh well, plently of down time left.

#5 ·
Well Terry, that's what I am doing this winter. Bought a Renzetti travel vice and have tied about twenty flies since last Saturday. Some deep clousers, rats asses(created by Harry Combs- the chartruse one I constantly use at the lighthouse) some othe clousers. I bought it from Nat at First Light who gave me some lessons saturday morning and will have a group every wednesday evening starting in January. I will also plan to attend the UFT meetings in Burlington. I look forward to the tying clave and will want to tie a number of Juro's deep sand eels. I need to get more material tommorrow. Take care and mery xmas to all.

#7 ·
I was wondering where all the off-season flytying chatter was. Seems this time last year there was a lot of tying traffic. Myself - I've not yet begun to tye. Signed up for begineer lessons after the new year. Figured I'd start the serious tying after I learn the rudimentries, ie. after I learn how to properly use the thig-a-ma-jigs (sp?) I got last Christmas.

Regards,
Fred A.

#8 ·
John -

I have put together a "deep eel" material set for you per our last conversation. It sounds like you might already be well on your way to getting set up, but I'll bring it to the next get together.

The Renzetti saltwater is an excellent choice! I look forward to the next full-scale tying fest at the Chatham Angler's Club!

Terry -

You got me... what's LMAO (I am afraid to ask?)

Fred -

Look for fly tying basics pages here too, started them but it will be a little while to get them done. Definitely a winter time thing though.

January UFT is a commitment for me! Jan 6th, I believe. I will make it Jared!

#9 ·
Tom, Nat at First Light convinced me to go with the regula r traveler which seems perfect for the 2/0 and 3/0 hooks I tied. Just did five more this evening. All Big clouser sand eels with olive hackle ,silver flash and white buck tail below with a 6 minute epoxy head... I can't believe this by I have done about 25 flies since I started in ernest last saturday... what am I going to do with my store bought flies now. The funny thing is I can see more variety and experimentation tieing myself.

Juro, thanks for the extra material and I can see it all now.. instead of standing there , I can join in and will set some picknick tables down the Cape for tying after fishing at the "Club".

#11 ·
How'd this turn into a tying thread? Tying thread?? Get it?

Al: I had to ask Bob Pink off line what FAC was last summer. It wasn't on the Coast Guard lingo sheet.

CIA stands for Culinary Institute of America (every pro chef knows it's the best cooking school in the country).

John: Isn't it great to explode into tying? That was me last winter about this same time. I posted evrything I tied too. The pros just held their noses and encouraged me. Later I got to tie a chart. clouser riverside with Al and Juro, then get in my boat and drift Bass River on the incoming, and catch my first fish on my own fly. What a treat!

TTYL (Juro....know that one?)

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.