Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cape Crusaders

4K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  peter-s-c 
#1 · (Edited)
There are quite a few stories to tell from my trip to Cape Cod. I am sure that many of them will come out over the next couple of days. A few of them might even need a little nudging to be recalled.
All in all us 7 Brits had a cracking time, with the first wave of four getting into fish before we had even unpacked our bags. We passed a spot on the way to the house and had a look. We agreed this would be our first port of call. Stopped at the house and dumped the bags and were soon into stripers and blues.

Goose with his first blue fish

I had my first striper that evening, whilst wandering one of the nearby spits of sand which juts out into the ocean. No one was around to take the picture, so I quickly composed a shot and measure the fish at 24” before letting it swim off.

When the second wave appeared, we had plenty of tales of fish to tell, and the excitement built at the prospect of catching tonnes of fish. The next day we headed over to South Beach to fish the flats there. A theme would build for the next few days of heavy fog and mist which would make the fishing hard. We had to walk some miles each and every day in search of fish.

That evening after supper and some drinks at the Chatham Squire, which would become our second home for the remainder of out time there, we all went back to the location of our first evenings success for some evening fishing.

Once again everyone got into fish, some of them would put a nice bend into the rods.

Early on before the light failed we would get into the stripers. Later when darkness fell, the blues would patrol the shore less than 10 yards from the water line. Many of us would loose flies that evening, after moments of explosive fun.

Days of getting up at 4am and fishing till after 9pm took their toll and out energy started to flag.

See less See more
#2 ·
Crusade cont.

We took a day of to spend some money at the shops, heading over to saltwater Edge in Newport, Rhode Island and the Bearsden in Taunton, MA.

Reinvigorated we headed over to the flats on North Monomoy where we found the most amazing expanse of flats. Just at this time the weather decided to become clear and sunny; providing us with our first day of true sight fishing. A lot of the guys caught their first sighted fish on this and the next day on North Monomoy. A truly amazing experience and what we came out for. The excitement reached new levels on these days, and in my view, these were the best days fishing we had. Although perhaps we did not catch so many fish.

I have to give big thanks to Pete for allowing me to come and share his guided day. Not only was Pete great company, he also allowed me to catch my best fish of the trip. Amongst my haul were two 28” stripers the first one lean and weighed in at 8lb, the second one fat at about 9½lb having fed on a menhaden shoal that was being harassed by seals, blues and stripers all day. One of the blues I caught was estimated at 8lb.

The second, fatter striper had been amongst a bunch of blues ripping apart a menhaden Pete had just released. It was quite a sight seeing a shoal of menhaden being hearded all day long, busting the surface and getting torn to bits when we hooked onto them.

All in all it was a great week, with some superb, albeit challenging fishing. The guys were all great company and I must thank them for making it such an enjoyable occasion. I must also thank many of the forum members who I met for some drinks and lies. All were a great laugh and provided much entertainment with a quite a few wise words of advice which helped us to make the occasion such a successful one. It really felt like home, well after we had redecorated…

Look forward to catching up with you again in August.

#3 ·
I to, would like to thank all the guys that were so welcoming to a bunch of eager Brits. Many times people would come up to me and ask if we were the guys from the English forum they had heard about, introduce themselves and offer advice and other possible locations. To many names to even try to remember but it was great meeting you all and i'll try to get over next year and re- aquaint myself.
The fishing was great, by our standards, with many sizeable fish falling to our flies.
And it was fantastic meeting Striblue, juro , Penguin and Jim Sims......we will have to fish together next time. And so many characters....Keith and his dad....the guy from Jersey...the guy who i kept bumping into at every venue(from Maryland i think)who broke his rod first thing Thursday morning..........

some of the fish i had

Many thanks , we will meet again

Dave :wink:

#4 ·
Broken Rod, Broken Heart

Sigh, yes, Sam from Maryland. Sad Thursday morning that. But I managed to get a replacement rod and was fishing again by 6pm. Harry at Nauset Angler rocks!!! I had a great trip and it was fun meeting you all (or y'all as some of the Maryland locals say). Didn't get my big bass this year, but more bluefish than I can count.

I'm going back for the second week of September, any UK takers? :smile:

Sam

P.S. NEVER fish on your wife's birthday. :Eyecrazy:

#7 ·
Just echoing what Jamie & Dave have said... A big thankyou to John Morin, Jim Simms, Adrian, Keith & his dad and all the others I/we met but cannot recall your names.
Next year we will be slightly better prepaired and hope to catch up with the ones we missed - including the bigger fish! :tongue:

My biggest fish was a 28½2 x 15½" beauty which I reckon to be at least 10lbs.

But my favorite fish was this 28" fish - sighted and caught from N. Monomoy on that beautiful Wednesday.

#8 ·
I'd like to add my thanks, not only to The Mayor, Juro, Penguin, desmobob, JimS, Adrian etc for all their help, but to all those un-named anglers we met on the beaches and boats, and in the shops and bars, who were so kind with their time, stories and pieces of advice.

Gentlemen all of you.

Some pictures from me too :

my first bluefish of 5lb - taken on a popper with fluoro !

the boys lined up at mecca on a fine evening

another 4lb blue on fluoro - this time on a half n half

a 4lb striper from N monomy

my first sight of a proper blitz, blues driving bait up to the gulls

my best fish was the sighted 5lb bass but i was on my own so no piccy, but like my first UK seabass the image will live on within me for all my days.

2 weeks next year. ;)

Thanks chaps

GB (mark)

#9 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone
I was the last member of the Brits there and unfortunately I did not bump into anyone on the board. However despite the weather, I had a great time and I fished with some really excellent guides organised by "Fishing the Cape".
Thank you George, Greg, Jeff, Dave, Tony and Mike.

I have now added Stipers and Blues to my list of species and am very jealous of you guys that can fish there so often.
I will be back next year and hope to meet a few of you then.

Pete

Attachments

#13 ·
Juro was kind enough to show Simon and i around for a day of fishing. My first time ever fishing for strippers and blues. What a great place and an amazing day. I am glad to hear that the UK boys got some good weather and fishing in. It was great to meet you guys and chat over a few drinks at the UK House. I just wish that we had more time to get properly drunk and fish with you guys.

Jamie, let me know next time you are out west visiting your in-laws and i will show you around some of my favorite trout waters.

Thanks a bunch for the very fun time Juro!

Cheers,

Greg

#15 · (Edited)
GPearson said:
It was great to meet you guys and chat over a few drinks at the UK House. I just wish that we had more time to get properly drunk and fish with you guys.

Greg

Likewise... Especially the getting drunk part! :hihi: Next year for sure.

I've got to send Simon out some Marmite. Its an English thing - tastes like sh*t, but he likes it! :tongue:

#16 ·
Jamie, Stevo et al, glad you guys had a good time while on the Cape. Next year make it two weeks and insure one week has a moon tide. I should be in the same place next year, aka "Causeway Saloon." Also, next year, be prepared to be properly indoctrinated into the Chatham Anglers Club.

Jamie, got the birthday present and a spare spool.

#18 ·
GPearson said:
Juro was kind enough to show Simon and i around for a day of fishing. My first time ever fishing for strippers and blues. What a great place and an amazing day. I am glad to hear that the UK boys got some good weather and fishing in. It was great to meet you guys and chat over a few drinks at the UK House. I just wish that we had more time to get properly drunk and fish with you guys.

Jamie, let me know next time you are out west visiting your in-laws and i will show you around some of my favorite trout waters.

Thanks a bunch for the very fun time Juro!

Cheers,

Greg
Greg -

You are a real gentleman indeed but I have my doubts that it's the first time you've been shown around for strippers. ;)

Seriously - the pleasure was all mine sir, and I hope you'll allow me to be your host again at our "little drinkin' town with a fishing problem" whenever you're in the area.

We need to tell Nick that the class should be scheduled a little later in June next year to coincide with a better tide :lildevl:

#19 ·
jimS said:
Jamie, Stevo et al, glad you guys had a good time while on the Cape. Next year make it two weeks and insure one week has a moon tide. I should be in the same place next year, aka "Causeway Saloon." Also, next year, be prepared to be properly indoctrinated into the Chatham Anglers Club.

I will personally pay a handsome reward to he who gets a photo of Simon Gawesworth wearing the "fez" :lildevl:

#21 ·
jimS said:

Glad to hear it Jim, although this does make me seriously jealous.

#23 ·
Marmite is my life blood! Without it I might do daft things :Eyecrazy: - like wear a fez! Juro, what is this bounty you are offering and what is wrong with my normal hat?

Stevo, you are a gentleman to remember! but don't go to expense - my in laws were just over and bought necessary supplies! enough for a few months, anyway.

Cheers
Simon

#25 ·
Simon,

I'll trade you some marmite for Jiff Peanut butter - US girlfriend is addicted to it !

great to meet you other guys, on reflection a week really wasn't enough to fish AND get properly drunk with you all.

Its quite hard sitting here at home watching the fishing reports role in - i'm glad the big brother thing went well too, we need more of that over here IMHO.

Mark/GB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.