Fly Fishing Forum banner

Richard Adams

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
The legendary Richard Adams passed away last night

#2 ·
Could anyone put up a bio of this most remarkable guide?

I recall a full-sized statue of Richard Adams gracing the lobby of the Restigouche Hotel.

If anyone was a legend in his own time, Richard certainly was.

Petri heil,

Eric

#3 ·
How sad.

I'll never forget staying at the Hotel Restigouche in May 2000 and we'd be tying flies on our porch during lunch and he'd be watching us from a far... we didn't know who he was at the time, just some old dude with wild hair and funny hat. But we soon found out. He had dinner with us the next day and later gave him a ride home. A very nice man and a real legend. I feel honored to have spent some time with a individual of such stature. A another ghost of the river.

Shahab

#6 ·
I think I met Richard for the first time 98 or so. I have only talked with him a couple of times but i am glad that i had the opportunity to do so. What a great gentlemen. we should all swing a green highlander for him next trip (and every trip after that) to the Matapedia.

I had the honor of guiding President and Roslyn Carter a couple of years ago and Jimmy had some good stories about salmon fishing with Richard.

He will be missed.

Greg

#7 ·
I heard the sad news on my way back from vacation Sunday. So sad to have lost such a good soul and friend.

I consider myself very lucky to have known Richard.

Although I have never fished with him in person, I have been along in his canoe many times when he would sit and tell stories about his adventures; at our kitchen table. A long time ago, when I first came back to my "church" aka the rivers of the Gaspe Peninsula, I first lived with Marc Leblanc, another legend in the making. Richard knew both of us through mutual clients and friends we had all guided through the years. Richard took a liking to both Marc and I, I guess because at the time, we were both bachelors like him. He made his "turn" as he would call it, every week and would hitch-hike from Matapedia to our house, usually arriving on a Saturday or Sunday morning well before the beer and other liquor of the night before had worn off. I remember on several occasions hearing the door slam and the sound of Richard yelling, "Richards here!" C'mon boys, reveil toi, in broken French.

We would amble out of bed; a bit embarrassed by the fact that this man, in his 80's had already been out of bed and had trekked down to see us before we had even take our morning pee. I am telling you, he would show up at 5 or 6 in the morning just to see if he could catch us in bed still. I think one of the reasons was also to see who else would come to have coffee with him, if you get what I mean.

After a little nip and a cup of tea, he would announce that he had to leave and as quickly as he had arrived would start his way down the street to see one of his many lady friends in the area.

What a man! What a life! Started guiding at the age of 14 or 15, never drove a car, had lady friends up and down the coast and on both sides of the border with N.B., was always a gentleman and never tired of talking about salmon! I cannot think of a single time that he had a bad thing to say about anyone. A one of a kind... too bad there are not more people like him in the world today.

An amazing man who will live in my memory for a very long time.

Thanks for letting me share this,

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.