Fly Fishing Forum banner

Another question(??)

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
situation:
Very windy day...early June..

Fish are right across from where the angler is standing....

What would be the best cast (spey) ?

I would be tempted to throw in a "Cardinelle"?? :confused:

You??

Ann

Now, we have left to land that fish!! :Eyecrazy:
Click!! A photo!! Released!!

Done!! ........I need a Tim's Coffee!! :roll:

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not so much a question of what cast, but how do you control the fly when it's got over to the fish through all the unpredictable currents. In truth, it's almost impossible in that situation. I would chance any cast that gets the fly slightly over and quite a bit upstream of the fish. If you get no take, it's unlikely that standing there all day repetitively casting will result in a take.

If it were me, I would try from slightly above the dam/falls on the opposite bank and hang or dibble the flies over the fish.

If you cannot get to the opposite bank and the fish are slightly downstream of the angler on the opposite bank then the angler should move upstream and narrow the angle of the cast to bring the flies over the fish slower and limit the effects of the current.

Failing all that, a straightforward single spey with a big upstream mend in the line.

#3 ·
Hi Ann,

La Chute pool, eh?

Really cool to see all of those big salmon suspended under the white water. That has gotta be the strangest place that I have ever tried to hook a salmon (or steelhead). I don't think that you need a spey cast there, at least not with a two hander. The fish are very close.

Greg

#6 ·
Don't Laugh!! :(

Okay.... I have another question. .... don't laugh!! :mad:

If someone is left handed...... would he/she hold the Spey rod differently ??
(Place hands ??)

Juro,
"What is Spey casting Part 1"
I am reading attentively.... just what I needed!!
Looking forward in reading Part 2.

A..

#7 · (Edited)
Willie,

a tail fly anchors the leader whilst the dropper is a large bushy fly
Sorry, if I understand your technic, on Quebec Rivers, ... Only one fly per line, no lead, beads or metal on the line or leader. :tsk_tsk:

Actually, the only metal you can use is the actual hook used for the fly. (and we have max. sizes for singles, doubles and triples).

#8 · (Edited)
QuebecSporting said:
Okay.... I have another question. .... don't laugh!! :mad:

If someone is left handed...... would he/she hold the Spey rod differently ??
(Place hands ??)
Ann

Depends on how you want to do it.

There are two approaches. For many people (theoretically, the most efficient), you change hands on the upper part of the grip depending on the side of the river you're fishing. On downstream anchors, your downstream hand should be the top hand on the rod grip. For instance, on river left with a downstream wind you need a downstream anchor, therefore your left hand is on top (double spey or snake roll). With an upstream wind you need an upstream anchor and your right hand (upstream hand) is on top of the grip (single spey, snap-t, circle-c). On the other side of the river with the same winds, the opposite hands are on top.

Some people don't like to change which hand is on top of the grip (they always want their "dominant" hand on top) so they will perform their casts by crossing the rod over their body to perform the required casts. These are generally referred to as crossover casts.

I hope this is clear.

Bill

edited, as I can spell better than Dan Quayle. There is no "e" at the end of dominant

#9 ·
fcch - in the UK the use of two flies, a dropper and a tail fly, is quite usual though tends to be more common on the smaller rivers than the large. There are some places where you will find restrictions on hook size and weighted flies, and also on the number of points on a hook, too, but this is not particularly common and tends to be set by the owners of individual fisheries rather than by law.

It is possible to dibble with a single fly, but the effect of the water current on the tail fly (and leader below the dropper) helps to keep the dropper skimming in the surface film, particularly in rough water or with a wind. On the other hand, the dropper seems to draw the fish up and provokes splashy rises but many fish actually take the tail fly on the way down.

Would your regulations permit the use of a piece of wool, mounted either on the dropper or the tail, in place of a fly? You could more or less replicate the technique this way, although obviously some fish would take the wool, whichever position it was on.

wrke - following up on your post, which sums it up neatly, I would just add one further small point. As a left-hander, I will sometimes switch my rod to my right hand after making the cast. From the left bank, if I want to fish my fly slowly it is easier to hang it out in the river with the right hand up. In those conditions it is almost second nature for me to throw an upstream mend immediately after casting, and then pass the rod to my right hand.

By contrast, if I wanted to place a belly in the line and accellerate the fly I would have the rod in my left hand, even if I were casting right handed (still assuming I'm on the left bank).

Reverting to Anne's picture, I would certainly want the rod in my right hand to hold the line and fly out over the stong current. This would be particularly true with the dibbling technique, where you sometimes hold the rod up and out almost at arm's length to control the swing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.