Fly Fishing Forum banner

Some new tube flies.

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
Some new tube flies I'v tied up for the Great Lakes in winter.

Charlie

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Like usual Charlie, very nice flies. The use of the unfettered double bunny wing on long flies (whether tubes, waddingtons, or long shanked hooks) is almost unheard of out here in the PNW. It is a very effective winging method though. Also, your use of traditional featherwing body and hackle methods with the non-traditional bunny or SLF wings produces what could easily be termed a "modern dee style".

#5 ·
Hey Charlie...

Those are great looking tubes! I have been using with good results some of Cascade's CCT Fiber in place of the SLF hanks.

#8 · (Edited)
Flytyer,

The use of the unfettered double bunny wing is not very common in the great lakes either, or the Atlantic coast for that matter. I just thought it looked good for this particular application. I also thought that since there has not been a great deal of tradition behind tube flies yet that people would not be to upset with me for doing it. Hell, you may have coined a new term with the “modern dee style” thing, in affect making a new tradition.

Glad the rest of you liked them too.

MJC,

I don’t think I have seen Cascade’s CCT Fibers before. They sound interesting. Is there a link or some pictures I could look at?

Chris,

Don't know yet. Just tied them up a few days ago. I will let you know. I'm working on a set for Atlantics too. I will post some when I get them done.

Charlie

P.S. Here are a few more I made up. Just adaptations of existing patterns.

Attachments

#13 ·
Greg,

How the hell are ya! We didn't do to well in the draw this year. Rick Kustich did the best. He got water on the York and Dartmouth. Brian got water on the York. And Nick Pionessa got water on the Dartmouth. Tony, Pat and I got nothing. How about you?

Charlie.

#14 ·
Will you be fishing those flies for steelhead during the cold Great Lakes winter? If so, what techniques? I've fished the indicator methods but bought a 2-handed rod and am learning new things. Those are beautiful flies... and I am learning to tie them, but will they catch fish?

#16 ·
Greg,

Glad you did well in the draw. We will be there from the 5th of June to about he 16th. And glad you like the tubes.

Grouseman,

I will be fishing these for winter steelhead. During January and February if you get a good day the fishing can be very good with swinging flies. You just need to slow down your swing and get down deep. I have had days in mid winter were I have out-fished the glo-buggers (is that a word?) by a large margin. Most of them will not even try swinging a fly at that time of year. They are so sure in there minds that it will not work.

Charlie.

#17 ·
Charlie, Slow and deep I assume means upstream and stack mending and various sink tips. Do you try and drag the bottom. My experience with the sink tips (none yet with the swinging fly technique) is they inevitably form bellies and speed up faster than the current. I'd imagine there are days, also, where the C and D boys will outfish the swingers... and it's those days I will try not to backslide.

#18 ·
Tube flies

The tube flies discussion has motivated me to be a first time contributer.I have been experimenting with tube flies for Skagit River steelhead for three years. Traditional fly patterns have been important to me so the change to tube flies has been slow. The beauty and proportions of your patterns helps in this recard.
The pattern that works well for me is a modification of Dana's Thompson Tube. The TT is tied with a fine copper wire body and black saddle hackle at the rear and head. A short section of spun angora goat is place behind the forward hackle to help the fibers stay erect. The rear hackle has the shortest fibers and the head hackle the longest. Sorry, no photos! Very simple pattern. Instead of saddle hackle I use the long fibers of blue eared pheasant dyed black or Rhea feathers. Both approachs, when tied sparsely, make tube flies that have movment, a shrimp like profile in the water and are easy to cast. Many color combinations are fishy and I place the light/bright colors at the rear and the dark at the head.

You mentioned a "draw" for water in the Gaspe Rivers. Where does one find information about the draw?
Richard7/8wt

#20 ·
grouseman,

You are correct for the most part. I like to use a 13' to 14' spey rod in the winter to help me counter the belly and keep my swings slow. You are also correct about the C and D boys getting a few more fish now and again but not as much as one might think. So keep the faith and give it your best shot, that’s all any of us can do. :cool:

richard7/8wt,

As MJC said, welcome to the site. For info on fishing the Gaspe Rivers check out this site. www.saumonquebec.com

It is a government-sponsored site that has info on all the public salmon fishing in Quebec.

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.