Fly Fishing Forum banner

Has anyone poled a yak?

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Pat Bahan 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any yakers out there have had any success with poling their yak around? I would think that the tribalance or the flatyak would make this possible.

#2 ·
InMyHumbleOpinion...

I think the majority of folks (myself included) are not comfortable enough with the limited stability of a mono-hull yak. Dump you will.
The Kiwi Stealth twin-hull that I test paddled rescently was more than stable enough to pole but an absolute super tanker and sail...way too much mass to challenge distance and wind. I think it's much better suited to be outfitted with a trolling motor and large battery then to be paddle powered. Call me a traditionalist!

The majority of my yak experience is in the NorthEast...I tend to use it as a means to an end...to get me to where I want to fish...
The wind is almost always a consideration and dumping is also paramont...anything not tied down is at risk and I prefer not to get wet much above the knees and on my own accord.
As the calm flat morning progresses (as it usually does), the wind typically picks up and the task of polling (much less paddling) will become complicated and frustrating. When I start encountering cruising stripes, I get out in the shallows (easy with the wide mouth Pungo) and trail the yak on a line securely clipped around my waist (sometimes short/sometimes long, depending...). Fishing as I walk until it's time to move on...LifeIsGood!
:D

#4 ·
JWW,
Believe me, if there's a group to ask for help on this adventure, you've found it. From tips, technique, and tackle to places to crash (including their own), we've got it all here! Let us know when you finally get around to the eastern seaboard. Bluebird day in July with Bass on Silversides or Sandeels and you'll be asking if this is heaven!

Nick

#11 ·
I am preparing a fly fishing paper where everything will be explained.
First, if at the begining the kayak was a way to get on the flats because I could not afford a flat boat, there are now many occasions when I say no to people who invite me to go fishing with them.
The kayak is the best flat boat as long as you do not have to paddle too much. I limit my paddling to a maximum of 14 miles a day. (But I did much more).

Because I do not have any tools, I had to keep it simple and that is what saved me.
The platform is only an aquarium mount. I just cut the legs out and put a piece of plywood on top, then painted the whole thing with marine paint. It is attached with the scuba tank belts at the back and some ropes to the eyelet a the front. Just behind the seat.
The push pole I use is a swimming pool alumimum cleaning pole (16', three pieces, telescopic). I adjust the length of the pole according to the water depth. At one end, there is a loop to pole in muddy flats and on the other end a pick to pole on hard bottom and to set the boat in muddy environments.
To set the boat, I use a loop to loop connection as I have a rope attached around my wait with a loop that just fits over the loop of the push pole.
I use also the anchor to set the boat in hard bottom env. The anchor is attached to the anchor and run through a system of pulleys to the platform. there is a knot on the rope and the rope is stuck under my foot when I pole with the anchor up. Setting the boat is easy... just let the anchor go and the knot gets stuck in the pulley eyelet.

When I fish under the bridges for big tarpons, I have two anchors. A mooring one and another one (the working anchor). I use a traveler to set the anchor an the front or the rear of the yak. Once a fish is hooked, I unhook the mooring anchor (that has a bouy) and drift with the fish out of the bridge (really risky) then, once I am clear, I fight the fish and use the second anchor. This is done at night. Tricky, dangerous, but thrilling.

Serge

#13 ·
Serge What Yack Are you Poling?

Serge,
I'm frustrated. :eyecrazy: I can't view your pics. I have the little boxes with red X's in them but when I try to click on them nothing happens. Don't know if its my computer or the server or what, but I can't see them. Anyway, what type of yack are you using? I don't currently have anything that stable but your report makes me think that needs to change.

#16 ·
Links seem to be ok now. I copied the URLs and put them direct into a browser. First one came up right away and the second came back with an aceess forbidden message. After a couple of tries that one worked too and now they seem o.k. here - on and off. Maybe something wierd going on at imagestation? I've seen outrigger systems setup for Yaks that allow standing. The poling platform takes it to yet another level:smokin:

#19 ·
Nope, I did not get it. Email me instead.
I updated the pictures.
Now I have put a poling deck at the bow and pole the yak backward. The reason is that the ride has a W hull and this hull might give you some hull slap when water is choppy. Because the stern has a V Hull, the yak is quieter that way.
On the front deck, I have a casting/poling form that is mounted there. Same design than the ones made for the flat boat (casting form).
Serge

Article is nearly ready to go. More difficult are the pictures... hard to take alone.

#20 ·
Serge,
The good news is the pics you just posted came up fine. Now that you don't need it, my e-mail is <gpb@compuage.com>. If you need any editorial assistance with the article I can probably talk my (editor, writer, teacher) wife into taking a look for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.