Fly Fishing Forum banner

GL Rivers?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  peter-s-c 
#1 ·
Wow! :eyecrazy:

After checking out the photos of the Great Lakes Clave on the Muskegon River I don't think I'll believe what you guys say about your "little" rivers, brush lined and deep from the bank - ya right! What a beautiful stream! :smokin: Are there many more similar to that part of the Muskegon?

#2 ·
We don't have that many of those type of rivers but here some more pictures from last weeks trip.

Here is how to access the albums.

1. Use this link

http://community.webshots.com/

2. Go to "Find a member" search towards the bottom of the Community page.

Enter: eckhal@attbi.com

3. Search Results"

Click on Eckhal100

4. Will bring you to "Michigan Steelhead Trip - 2003 photo album.

Beleive us Canada has many more than we do.

LOL :chuckle: :chuckle:

Hal

PM Out

P.S. The hard core spey boys from Wisconsin showed me their awesome looking Intruders I must say. I am not convinced I can use them effectively with high probability of success but will be looking to add some to the arsenal.

G
#3 ·
Kush,

The Mo' is probably Michigans best Spey river, the only problem with it is that the H2O temp gets pretty high in the summer. The dam is top draw and not bottom.

The Big Manistee is next best followed by the St. Mary's (borders Michigans UP and Canada). There are a couple of other UP streams where one can use a long stick. Further south in Michigan is the St. Joe, big water but pretty urbanized. Too many dams and people.

Wisconsin is also blessed with some big rod waters. As is New York and Ontario.

We have lots of smaller streams where a small spey may come in handy; but were you to cast the whole head you would be in the trees.

Most people fish the Pere Marquette, a small over fished gem of a river that gets way too much use and abuse. Some use a spey rod there with a float (indicator) or chuck and duck.

#7 ·
New York "blessed" with big rivers???

No, not hardly - the only four "tribs" with any size to 'em are, from the north, Black River, Salmon River, Oswego River and the Niagara. But if you are talking non-migratory trout streams, there are a whole sh--load of 'em - and most of 'em are not fished hard after pike and bass season opens! Pretty water, too, and with spectacular scenery.

BobK :smokin:

#10 ·
We're pretty fortunate on our side of the ponds - Saugeen, Maitland, Nottawasaga, Credit, Grand, Niagara, and plenty of smaller ones.

The Saugeen is a large system with plenty of tribs of its own. The lower section looks like pictures I've seen of Western Rivers.
The first shot is of the lower Saugeen (the little dot in the middle is my fishing buddy who is supplying the scale.)

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/saugeen-1.jpg

The second one was taken in the upper section near Paisley while on a float trip.

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/saugeen-2.jpg

#11 ·
I don't think Ontario even knows how many rivers they have !

Best count of their waters I could find was 400,000 inland waters, thats not counting the great lakes shorelines and I am not sure if that counts all rivers, it maybe just inland lakes.

Unbelievable how much fishing there is up in Ontario for all fresh water species.

Pm Out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.