Fly Fishing Forum banner

Early August on the Gaspe'?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Pat Bahan 
#1 ·
I've never had the privilege of pursuing Atlantics on the Gaspe. I'm not getting any younger. Its looking like early August is going to be the best time for me to get away. Can anyone shed any light on the quality of fishing on the peninsula at that time?

#2 ·
Most of the fish will have already arrived by then. The quality of fishing is totally dependent on weather and water conditions. Last year was intensely hot through all of August and most of the rivers were lower than normal. Even during most of September it was too hot to fish during the middle of the day. If August is more reasonable and there is occasional rain you should have fine fishing.

#3 ·
Thanks. I figured temperatures could be a big factor. I just wanted to be assured there was a reasonable chance of success if I went at that time. I wish I could wait until September but I teach and will be back in session the third week of August. From what I understand June is a very hard time to get onto a decent piece of water unless you have considerably more financial resources or connections than I. Besides I can't think of a better way to end my summer. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Hi Pat

I can help you out for a few of the Gaspé rivers:
August fishing:
Sectors where fish are holding
York Sector 2-3-4 (Big Salmon Hole pool)- 8-9-11
Dartmouth Sector 4-5-6 (if levels aren't too low) and 7 ( gate pool)
St-Jean Sector 1 ( Bluff and maybe a few surprises at Wild Rose)
Pabos Sector 2 on The Pabos North
Grande Rivière Sectors 5 & 6( gate pool) +private waters (excellent holding pools!
Madeleine Sectors 3 & 5
Ste-Anne Sector aval ( a few good holding pools )
Cap-Chat Saw quite a few fish in Sector 2 last September!

I you need more info, send me a note.

PS: These rivers (guides are not required) and expect rates bewteen $70.00CAD to $ 150.00 CAD (depending on what sector you are fishing)
Shoot me an email if you need more info!

Welcome to "La Gaspésie!"
Ann

#6 ·
Pat, The Atlantic salmon run on the Matane River peaks out during the last of July and the first part of August. It has a run of 2500 salmon per year on average. There is a water control dam with a fishway at the mouth of the river right in town just off route 132. For a fee of $2 you can observe salmon through a glass portion of the fishway. The daily rod fee is approximately $65 Canadian and there isn't any reserved sections in the river. The best pools are always crowded, but are rotated, and you will get your turn to fish the entire pool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.