Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cheap begginer setup

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PMac68 
#1 ·
Hi I have never fly-fished in my life but I really want to try to start. I had thought about it for a while but I don't know of anyone who I could go out with because fly-fishing is not big around here. Recently my dad said something about it and I was happy as could be so now I think it's time to get started. My birthday is today so I've been getting plenty of money and I should have enough for a fly-fishing setup. I still want to go pretty cheap because 1)i need to be saving up money for college and 2)I dont want to make a huge investment and end up disliking the sport (not that i think that will happen). I am looking at $100-150 for the whole setup, so i know im not gonna be getting quality equipment, any opinions?

I plan on doing mostly trout fishing and probably some panfish. I might try to go for some small bass but not sure yet. I was thinking 8'6" 5 weight from what ive found on the internet so far. I havent looked into to many brands but I like the cabelas genesis outfit alot so thats on the top of my list so far. Everyone on this site is saying it's great so that is a big possibility. I would really appreciate everyone's input on what they believe is the right equipment for me, Thank You.

#2 ·
A good choice

I'm not sure how this applies along the Mississippi, but a 5-weight in 8 1/2' or 9' is a fine all-around choice for trout and panfish. The Cabela Genesis package looks like an excellent value for the beginner, with its included flies and accessories.

A floating line is basic, but in time you'll need a sinking line or a sink-tip, line, and an extra reel or interchangeable spool to hold it. Don't be overwhelmed by the countless thousands of fly patterns; most of them largely duplicate proven standard patterns. A drab color Woolly Bugger will catch fish almost everywhere that's wet. A few Adams or Elkhair Caddis in different sizes will cover your dry fly needs, to start. You've got the rest of your life to expand your fly supply.

I hope you can find someone to teach you basic fly casting, which can be learned in 15-30 minutes. If you teach yourself, use these few principles:
The line will go where the rod tip directs it, so move the rod tip in a straight line backward, which is the wind-up for the forward cast, where you move the rod tip in a straight line forward. Don't thrash the rod as fast as you can; pause momentarily on each stroke to let the line straighten out. Start with a short line, then release a few feet of slack with each stroke; control it with the fingers of your line (weak side) hand. Don't try to cast more line than you can control. You can catch fish by casting 20-30 feet, and you'll get better with practice.

Welcome to the world's greatest sport, which will give you immeasurable joy (mixed with some character-building frustrations) until you're old and gray and bent.

#3 ·
Thanks alot for the response, I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if I'll go with the Cabela's or not yet(I know I should). As for casting lessons, I plan on getting some videos at the very least but hopefully I can find someone around here that knows what they're doing. Thanks again for the help!

#5 ·
redington rs2 or 3

best beginner rod for the money. progressive action and perhaps getting a line one weight heavier than rated will help a beginner feel the rod 'load' which is so critical to learning to cast. im sure a bunch around on discount. try sierra trading online if no fly shops around you. whatever you choose dont get suckered by salesman. rod and line should cost 95% of your budget and reel the rest for the quarry you stated.

#6 ·
I am just starting out also and bought a martin fly combo from troutlet on sale for 20 bux!!!! 8 ft rod 3 pieces and and 5/6 reel and its already spooled with backing and 5/6 weight line and leader! it also comes with some flies and a getting started booklet! it has 5 out of 5 on the reviews! I can't belive a rod can be decent for 20 bux but then again to get started why not! check it out! they also have rods and other great deals. Can't wait for mine to come! I figure if the reel gives out after a year or so just buy another reel and you still have the rod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.