Fly Fishing Forum banner

North Monomoy-8/25- Breaking The Code.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
A month ago I asked Rich Murphy to meet me at North Monomoy to do some sight fishing . We finally worked out today as the day. I was to meet Rich at 8 am, but he was running late so I took off and The Rip Ryder got a call from Rich saying he would find me around 9:30 ...Pete Grey volunteered to meet up with us mid morning in his Hydra Sport.... THE PERFECT DAY weather wise so I headed out on an early dropping tide and spoted several pods moving in the usual direction. Fishing a crab apple I was getting follows, looks ,but no takes... I concluded that it was the wrong location for the crab which is my fly at the grass flats in the middle of the island and usually on an incoming... so I usually then go to a shrimp. I stopped with the sand eels last year but decided to try a new sand eel I tied out of DNA with just two little strips of flash... very delicate and no longer than 2 1/2 inches....... I am Knee deep and to my left I see a large pod of Mid twenty fish.... cast to the lead.....wait.... strip after the first passes over and Bang.... great take...using 8 pound flouro is the key I think as well... My day is made...one good fish taken that way is a successful trip on very spooky fish... Minutes later several more pods now coming in several directions...pick my target. Good Cast... Bang...my second fish gain mid twenty and I saw the whole thing.Wait...sand eels are not suppose to work like this I think..... finally Rich shows up and we walk further... and he spots a target..casts...waits... strips...Bang..he is on. He is using a little delicate synthetic sand eel. Made be this is Sand eel day. Pete shows up and we jump on board and head to another area.... we spot hundreds of fish..... move into the area and get out of the boat and start casting.....we do this several times... the bait is all peanut bunker..but they are taking the small eel imitation...... Saw some big 40 inch fish... we manage several more fish between us...all of us.... all great "visual" takes. The kind of North Monomoy day you think about in the winter. Thanks Pete and Rich for a great day.... Here is picture with Rich with fish on...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Great report and good to hear Rich "hangin' in the hood".

Sand eels always work very well for me this time of year provided the dog day phase (invertebrates) has passed the torch to fall finfish phase. This occurred almost 2 weeks ago, although it has not completely turned over quite yet.

We still have not seen the big fall sand eel die off at the inlet, long way to go for sand eels yet. The beach is thick with them, and big ones too.

Soon the flats will be thick with pea bunker and it will be more a matter of finding fish strafing the bait in the shallows than fly choice. About the worst approach one can take until the bunker reach fly size is to imitate a single bunker in the crowd IMHO.

Great to hear about the bluebird day on the flats in good company with Rich and da' Pengiun.

8# flouro... good thing the 40" fish didn't eat the fly :lildevl:

#8 ·
More refusals than...

Junior High...

I launched Phracas outa' Bass River for the 20 minute ride to Monomoy country...
Somehow, a better way to go then route 28 in August! A nobrainer!
Along the pleasant, phlat way I saw what looked like exotics busting in scattered pods...but all I got was a case of the toothy blues...
I'm not complainig!
Stink on the handz and outa' da boat...on to bigger and better things!
Don't want to keep the Right Honourable Johnny Scissorhandz waiting!

The Mayor and Murphymeister were enjoying sweet sight fishing success so I gave them their space and the opportunity to enjoy some classic Monomoy...
While waiting for the dynamic duo, I hit a few spots of distinction...'saw a bunch a'fish...had numerous follows...but only closed the deal with a few phat stripes...
Gotta' use longer stealthy flouro and tye up some more DNA sand lance flyz!!!

After receiving a VHF call with the special code from John, I picked them up and went to a seldom visited secret location...
Perfect weather and lots of passing stripes...WHAT JOHN SAID!
The low tides delayed our escape and even drove us out of da' boat to push/pull over some shallow bars...
Eventually dropped off the boyz at the stairs and made my way back past Morris Island and enroute back to Bass River...
Along the way found more birds and a case of BIG blues...CastStripBangChompZZZZ...TigerWire wins again!

An absolutely sterling day onthewater that will be revisited in daydreamz during the dark daze of winter!!!

Attachments

#9 ·
"8# flouro... good thing the 40" fish didn't eat the fly "

Juro , no problem, I will show you how you play those kind of fish on that tippet, Takes a little feel and the right drag pressure.... with some experience you can be there too! :lildevl: :chuckle: ;)

#15 ·
No I don't have a picture of the fish since Rich never handled it... he kept it on the line for a few minutes while he took pictures of it in the water... then he reached down and slipped the hook out and let it swim away. One of his purposes on the trip was to take photo's for his upcoming book on his flies which is with the publisher now. Here is picture of what he was doing. I tried to take a picture with my digital camera and without the polarized lens I could not get a thing... he was using a 33mm.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.