Fly Fishing Forum banner

Code of ethics.

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  hcdk 
#1 ·
Many Salmon rivers in Atlantic Canada have codes of ethics in place. For example on the York and Dartmouth rivers in Quebec, there are signs posted to "Respect the code of ethics. Catch and release 2 fish only". The signs do not say this is the law just that it is a code of ethics. Some rivers have different codes of ethics and some have none at all. I was just wondering if Salmon rivers in other countries have such codes of ethics and what people think of them.

It is my personal opinion that we as sportsman and conservationists need a code of ethics to be credible. How can we preach conservation to Fish Farms and Commercial fisherman if we our selves do whatever we please? Catching just one Atlantic salmon is a great event. I have in the past quit after just one fish if the fishing is slow that week. Give fellow anglers there chance to get a fish and have there fun. After all, greed is what is killing our sport to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

So what do other people think. Let me know.

Thanks Charlie

#2 ·
I am in complete congruence with your sentiment. For the most part you'll see courteous etiquette displayed around the rivers here, however like in every walk of life, there is the 10% factor. One out of ten guys will make it miserable for everyone else by hogging the pools, and staying until he's hooked his 2 or 4 fish, what ever the law allows. This can be off-putting for a non-local, come-from-away sport fisherman, who paid a good dollars worth of hard earned money, to come enjoy the opportunity to hook a fresh Atlantic in our bountiful river systems. Shameful to say but that 10% is most always 100% local.
Tight lines!
Sayow

#6 ·
It should be printed on the back of the license so that when you politely tell sell someone that they are not following the proper etiquette and they get rude about it you can say "read the back of your license if you don't believe me a** eyes!"

I would add one thing to you list MJC "limit your catch".

Greg

#7 · (Edited)
Hey Greg...

I thought that is what the last line said. Take care, MJC

"SOME THOUGHTS ON ETIQUETTE"

"TREAT OTHER ANGLERS AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED"

"RESPECT OTHER ANGLER'S FISHING SPACE,
DO NOT LOW HOLE"

"ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION TO SHARE A RUN,
START BEHIND OTHER ANGLERS ALREADY FISHING"

"WHEN FISHING A RUN WITH OTHER ANGLERS MOVE DOWN A COUPLE STEPS AFTER EACH CAST IS FINISHED"

"AFTER YOU LAND A FISH GET OUT AND GO BACK TO THE TOP OF THE RUN"

"HELP A NEW ANGLER IF IT'S OBVIOUS THEY ARE HAVING TROUBLE, OFFER USEFUL TIPS, SHARE A FLY OR TWO"

"WHEN FISHING CATCH & RELEASE USE TACKLE HEAVY ENOUGH TO LAND THE FISH WITHOUT A PROLONGED FIGHT"

"RESPECT PRIVATE PROPERTY, ASK FIRST,
LEAVE GATES AS YOU FOUND THEM"

"PROTECT THE RESOURCE, DON'T LITTER"

"REPORT GAME LAW VIOLATERS"

"RELEASE ALL WILD STEELHEAD"

"LIMIT YOUR KILL, DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT"

NI, It is the first link on the front page. I have thses same things printed on my bags for the shop. It has just amazed me how popular those bags are.

#8 ·
Hi MJC,

I completely agree with "limit your kill" and just mean to add "limit your catch".

In someplaces catch and release is so popular that people nolonger stop fishing when they have caught their share. When the fishing is good, no-scratch that, when it is easy, some folks brag about catch 50 (and the highest I have heard was 90) trout a day believing that because they were releasing them they were having no impact on the resource and to other fisherman. In my neck of the woods this happens in June when the green drakes and stoneflies are out, then in August all of the guys that bragged about having 50 fish days in June complain that the fishing is really tough and that the few they hooked had hook scares.

I would like to see "limit your catch" be the next evolusion in our sport to protect the very fish we claim to love so much.

I know that this doens't have much to do with your river because it would be very rare for someone to say catch more then a few steelhead a day and your river can handle that. In places like the Gaspe' or in trout fishing or even a great river like the Dean where sometimes the fish go nuts and you can hook a lot in one day it makes sence. I am not suggesting we make laws to the effect but that we all make a personal chioce as to what a daily catch and release limit should be.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.