Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Florida in Feb?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
Work will have me in the Miami area around Feb 18th. Any suggestions for Locations and/or Guides that I could consider if I stretch out my visit to include some FF time?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Wow, that sounds good. Any offshore action will be smokin' there should be sailfish around and huge cuda on the wrecks.

Steve Moore has some recommendations for guides right there on the mainland side between Key Largo and Miami, a search might locate it (I'll try later on).

A short drive and you'll be on the keys. Just over the bridge in Key Largo there's a public park (Pennecamp) where I've caught bones and cuda in February. I thought I say a sickle tail too but didn't score.

Not too bad of a ride down to Islamorada and you can find lots of guides there. I went guideless and hit fish at Matecumbe Key and Bahia Honda State Park before becoming enamored with Margaritaville and heading straight down to Key West for some yellowtail snapper, conch chowder, stone crab and key lime pie.

The tarpon were busting pilchards at Bahia Honda and you can rent ocean kayaks there to really get adventurous. If you're lucky you can camp there too. It's really a gorgeous place.

Stop in and chat with Bonefish Bob, Worldwide Anglers, and Jefferey Cardenas down in Key West. Great shops and owners.

It was narcotic down there. Even without the tequila.

:)

#5 ·
At one time I had a limited amount of info on several areas of FL as I have relatives in Jacksonville, Ormand Beach, and St Pete. But alas, as the clutter gets to a certain point one has to start eliminating some of it.

There are at least two fly fishing clubs in the Tampa Bay area. There are also a couple of flyfishing shops and probably more than a few flyfishing guides around the Tampa Bay.

A little searching of the web will likely bring these to the surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.