Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham, Feb 4 Airials

4K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  flydoc 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanks Fred. After some time glazing over those photos, I've seen some changes, e.g. The slimmer waistline on S. Monomoy and the new bar in front of the light. Also, looks like the new cut has gotten smaller.

The good news for me will be two new areas to fish as a result of the changes. See you in a month plus.

#6 ·
nice.

check out the longshore bars, slots and trough on the outside of the new break.

that new 90 degree bar is in a killer spot for the outgoing too. :wink:

i might have to take the beachcomber shuttle out there one day.

a March 20 pic :

there also seems to be a clear channel now between the south beach dead zone and the flats south of North Monomoy. hopefully that will flush south beach a litle more and lift the fishing back up a bit.

though of course, with this big noreaster coming in on Friday, it could all be different next week :chuckle:

#12 ·
Actually I haven't fished the new island but I've watched them hooking up from the end of Nauset so it would be new water for me. The outside is the outside of course, and I will be fishing the Mecca end all summer from the new dory after digging a basket of clams and checking the pots :)

#19 ·
Be aware, the Beachcomber does not start running until 10:00 or, usually later. A couple of years ago I made numerous trips out the North Beach and we NEVER left before 10.

Also, parking at the pier is brutal. DO NOT park in the lower lot. It's an automatic $50 ticket.

#21 ·
polareyez said:
Be aware, the Beachcomber does not start running until 10:00 or, usually later. .

i think you are correct. I called them last year and that's what they told me.

However, I am pretty sure they were not advertising 'flats fishing' on their website last year.

besides, if we have four or more people i bet they'd take you early for the $$$$.

#23 ·
The Beachcomber primarily shuttles beachgoers to North Beach. That's why the 10:00 start. The one year I fished North a lot, I was the only fisherman going out.

Jimmy, who runs the shuttle, is a great guy but, we never left at 10 it was always later.
This may have changed but, the south half of North Beach was unfishable once the tide came in due to the many seals that came in.

#24 ·
The south end is now shaped like a giant mitten sort of with a thumb to the shoreward side reaching all the way down to the parking lot at mid-tide and the heel of the thumb coming very close to Holway St point.

The fingers of the hand extend almost as far south as the lighthouse (in parallel) and the ocean breaks stop on that outer bar making the inside fingers explorable in a small craft.

These form a large bay in the palm with a flat and a lot of structure as of today. Outgoing will have a strong current flowing on the beach side, large flats in the middle and the ocean-facing bars and breaks to the east in an area of maybe 4-6 sq miles of fishy water.

North of the "wrist" the Pleasant Bay we used to know is now a complex myriad of shifting sand bars which are going to be just amazing to explore in the dory this summer.

And of course just above that is the new break now over a mile wide. This has rejuvenated the upper bay and I am sure there PB is the new South Beach.

I have always done best in the inlet at the bottom of the tide with current causing bait and feeding to line up under tension. With the dory under manned power I will hang out until the incoming to get the free ride back to the landing.

Is it May yet?

photo copyright j.mukai 2011 - all rights reserved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.