Fly Fishing Forum banner

Safety couse

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Here's a link to an online boater's safety course. You can study online and then take a test. I ran through it a few years back. I was digging through my PC weeding out old bookmarks and came across it. I would highly recommend it, most of it is common sense stuff but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. Even if you are not a boat owner but occasionally fish on a boat with a friend or guide, it doesn't hurt to know some of the basics.

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/

#2 ·
On the same topic, these boating courses are becoming increasingly more common. Here in Nebraska, a law was past stating all people born after January 1, 1987 have to take a boating course, and hold a liscence similar to that of a drivers liscence.

#3 ·
flyjkol said:
On the same topic, these boating courses are becoming increasingly more common. Here in Nebraska, a law was past stating all people born after January 1, 1987 have to take a boating course, and hold a liscence similar to that of a drivers liscence.
Now that is a smart idea!

My parents had me take a boating course when I was 14(?) in NY so I could pilot a boat. It was one of the best things I ever did. It allowed me to pilot a boat solo at that age. And yes, I was actually responsible when I took it out, believe it or not! (18.5' Fishcraft aluminum with 50 HP)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.