Fly Fishing Forum banner

Safety

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
I have begun to realize my own mortality.

Changed tactics from the inflatable PFD to the BOB PFD from LL Bean. Similar to the Lotus Lola, more cost effective, free shipping, etc... Works when your unconcious.

Also purchased a bow flotation bag. My Manteo only has one bulkhead, for the rear storage, in case I get swamped or hit by a large wave.

My train of thought (ready to leave the station) is that rescue/ safety level will be increased. A lot of the areas I yak have high-speed water movement, where the next stop if you miss Nantucket is Portugal.

Food for thought.

#3 ·
Jeff...
Not to be picky but...What with prevailing currents, Nantucket is not an issue...abeam Nova Scotia would be more appropriate, then the North Atlantic, and then (if you're lucky) some Norwegian troller might pick you up as by-catch...
You would go for big "Euroes"!

Paddle SAFE! and check your six o'clock!

#4 ·
I agree with you Roop have a PFD made by MTI bought it at Charles River Kayak. They give lessons on self rescue which I plan to take. From my own close call last year things happen so fast you have very little time to react. Imagine pulling the cord on your inflatable PDF and it fails now you have to inflate by manually . Reading the various yak threads on the net I am amazed at the lack of concern for safety.
FishHawk

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
But Roop...a stop off in Iceland with their "untouched" genepool wouldn't be such a bad thing:devil:

With my luck the pool would be closed when I showed up!

THIS POST IS TO REPORT ABUSE OF MODERATOR POWERS!!

Nick,

I added/ edited your post in error, "With my luck the pool would be closed when I showed up!"

I am, keyboard challenged,

Roop

#6 ·
I use a regular PFD when yaking and the pull cord one if I am wading deep off the flats.. I will keep the pull cord one in my yak but will not use it while yaking because things do happen very fast and you can't use a pull cord if you become unconscious.

#7 ·
So, here's another safety oriented idea

Hopefully, everyone here's familiar with a kill switch lanyard. If not, it's simple - a kill switch lanyard, attached to a boat operator's wrist/beltloop/wherever, if the boat operator goes overboard, the lanyard jerks against a bayonet emergency switch so all the boat operator suffers (we hope) is embarrassment and quick return to the boat.

Why not connect a lanyard of some type to your PFD and 'yak, with a break-away connection similar to the lanyard on your tool necklace, so to inflate your PFD if you go overboard in water deep enough to warrant 'emergency' activation of your PFD inflator, but also to break away from the 'yak so you don't bob around connected - unless you want to.

#8 ·
Dave, I have the butt of my rod secured by a laynard incase it goes over, I have my paddles attatched to the Yak and I have a layard attached to my vest... three ropes... one more and I will be a tangled mess. I have this bad feeling sometimes of getting tangled up in a deadly position.

#10 ·
Hopefully, folks with "pull-to-inflate" PFD's are regularly popping a
CO2 cartridge to make sure they work....at least 1-2 times per season...*especially* if you're spending any time around salt water. They only have to fail once and you're in trouble. Give me a "solid" PFD any day!!

(the 'yak ones are so well-designed at this point, that you'll hardly notice you've got it on...)

--j

#11 ·
Good point Jared.

I rinse ALL my gear after a salty outing & most fresh/ warmwater outings as well. INcluding the inflatable PFD.

I test my CO2 cartridge 2X a season, fun for the kids. A thin coat of white lithium grease on the threads of the cartridge is always added for a little extra insurance.

Roop

#13 ·
Roop,
No sweat, I knew you didn't know what you were doing. :hehe: Anyways, good reminder. I've got to go test out my PFD. This is gonna be fun.

Nick

#15 ·
...lighting?!...

...I talked to a few Enviro-Cops at the pre-season shows and they said because of the increased YAK popularity, and the fact that common sense is "not a requirement", they are going to be checking for LPU's and running lights for dusk to dawn paddleing...among other things. I'm going to rig a pole to fit in my rod holder onto which will go a steady white light with 360*view. They also stressed signal devices (whistles/air horn/mirror/etc).
How about a satelite tracking system and/or a TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system) as used by the airlines?...What next?!

#16 ·
I have seen people use those flashingh LED light that cyclists use. Maybe on the top of a hat? On the back of a PFD and then a head lamp would be good too. Don't want to wreck your night vision.
Now, what to do during the day. "That guy sees me...he must...YIKES! That was close! Did you see the expression on his face? Phew!". Sailing yatchs are especially dangerouse. They already ply the waters assuming that they ALWAYS have right of way. Try not to be possitioned down wind of them. It's hard to see behind the sail.

#17 ·
...Instrument Flight Rules...

...Let it be known that all rights are hereby claimed and reserved as patent may be pending but...
How about a small aluminum "radar reflector" and rotating beacon that attaches to a helmet and/or hat?!!!! In colours that compliment the ascot and boat hull, of course?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.