Fly Fishing Forum banner

Big Brother Day!

7K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I'll be co-meistering the Big Brother Day with Heather Coppock again this year and need a show of hands for those who can commit to spending the morning of Father's Day from 8am through shore lunch with a Big Brother and Little Brother in Chatham, Cape Cod. Father's Day is June 15th. Please do not reply unless you can absolutely commit to do it. We finish up after lunch so you'll have afternoon and dinner with your own family if desired.

We have currently confirmed:

Gregg,
Mike and
Papa Estey
Nick Svencer
Quentin
Adrian
Tim Watts
Myself and my son and daughter
Seuss and roomie
JimS and Son
TomD
Rooster and his sons
Jerry Fabiano
Bill
Michael
John Morin
CSJ60

We only need 3 more who can make an otherwise ungratifying day for a fatherless child one that is full of joy.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
You better believe it, I'll be there! One of the best Fathers Days I have ever spent. This is probably because it wasn't centered around this old guy but a bunch of kids and guys who take the time to show them some of the good things in life. I can attest that this is one great day!:hehe:

#3 ·
I'm in. My roommate is planning on joining us again as well to help out with logistics.

What great fun last year. The look on my Brother's face when he hooked into a keeper :)

Is it possible some of the same kids may return this year? I know Heather had more interest than we could accommodate last year.

#4 ·
Are we doing the flies again this year? Should I get some more boxes?

Nick

#5 ·
Just spoke with Heather... although we are just getting started it would be great to have the crew in place for June.

If there are other members who can participate in this amazing event for the kids, please put your hat in the ring. We need 20 mentors to make this work.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Following the threads on last year's event, I can unequoically place my name on the list of assistants for this event. Further, my son, 23 year-old Chris has involuntarily volunteered. Keep us posted on necessities. I've got lots of spare equipment, some of it can be donated for future outings with the youth.

Simms

#8 ·
Nick -

I think I have 20 left over, let me take a count in the AM and let you know. John, I think if each chaperone puts a couple of flies in the box for their pair the gesture will have a meaningful result.

Admiral Ed suggests that we get the Monomoy Wildlife Staff to make a presentation about the refuge as they do for all group visits. That's a winner.

We are still several mentors short - but with some time left to meet the goal. I understand it's not easy to block out the time, but if you can make it please put your name in... I guarantee there are few things you'll do this year that will give you as much satisfaction - and you will make a huge impression on a kid who can really use a joyful Father's Day despite the irony.

#9 ·
Ok Juro, sounds good. I have no problem tying up a few flies, we could even do a sort of fly swap for the kids. That way everyone can tye up one type of fly, and we can distribute evenly.

Nick

#11 ·
Great! Thanks for giving a little time to show these kids just how wonderful a fishing trip can be, and in the mean time they end up showing us just how wonderful discovery is all over again through their vibrant eyes and cheerful voices.

I hope we can find 8 more volunteers with a month to go until Father's Day morning.

This event runs in the morning so those who need to get home for afternoon barbeque will have no problem doing so.

#16 ·
Glad you can make it. Last year we met at the causeway, took the Rip Ryder over, then gave some quick fly casting lessons. Most brought an extra rod or two (spin and fly). Some of the kids (and Big Brothers) took to the fly rods, others were much safer using the Spin.

It really is a great time, check out the pics from last years event Here

Nick

#19 ·
Awesome Dennis! Glad to hear it.

Getting close to quota! We need 6 or 7 more volunteers. Those of us who have sons or daughters coming could take two pairs (big and little brother = pair).

How about it, anyone else able to participate? I wager that you will not do anything more fullfilling or satisfying in 2003 than this.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/bigbrothers/

#22 ·
Juro,
This is Chris S, son of Jim S. He is currently at the Cape and curious about teh Big Brother day, we would like to know when and where, so that we may plan accordingly. I will be arriving early Friday morning and looking forward to it. Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

#23 ·
Sunday, Father's Day June 15th.
Meet at Chatham Lighthouse, fish on South Beach on the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge
8:30am start
Lunch on the shore with the kids
Many dads need to depart after lunch, optional extra fishing after lunch if you can stay longer

We will get together at the lighthouse at 8:30 (confirming w/ BBA), those of us who want to fish would probably not want to miss the outgoing at dawn (myself included) at approx 5am.

We then say hello to the kids and brothers and head over to Rip Ryder who takes us over to South Beach on the 8:30 / 9:00am run. We set up an impromptu Survivor-style boot camp, and let the kids have some fun as they go thru the ropes from start to finish. On the end of the gamut - fishing with a Forum mentor until lunch.

We then have a beach picnic with the group to share fish stories. Some may need to head back since many of us need to be with our own families.

Please post as many questions as you need to here, I will do my best to get them answered.

We still could really use a few volunteers.

#25 ·
Thanks in part to our work as well as Heather's team, BBA has received a limited grant that will provide some business to local businesses (Chatham Village Cafe') as well as provide some sandwiches for the gang. I am certain this will cover the kids lunches, possibly the big's lunch as well. It's possible it may even cover ours, we are working out the specifics at this time. I hope to have this finalized by end of business today or no later than tomorrow.

In any case, the program's success has earned it some minimum financial support for lunches and other minor expenses. Let's make this year's even more fantastic and perhaps we can grow it into something really big next year!

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.