Fly Fishing Forum banner

Los Roques Photos

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  bigduck10 
#1 · (Edited)
Another great trip to Los Roques! Great, stable January weather, gourmet food prepared by chef Mimo, and a great job done by Sightcast Outfitters owner Chris and his team of guides. We saw lots of bones and caught many bonefish on the surface, using floating minnow imitations. These imitate sardinas that have been wounded by diving pelicans, and the bones key in on this bait and readily take flies on the surface.

We had some shots at tarpon, but not in the numbers we saw last year. We had some good shots at permit too! There are some areas where permit frequent, and in a few hours of looking had four decent shots at big permit--one pushing forty lbs.

We caught plenty of 2-5 lb jacks that were crashing bait along the beaches, and even on some of the flats.

Flatsfihsing rock star Pete V. fighting a bone with Gran Roque in the background

Fishing along a beach for bones, jacks

when the pelicans dive into the water, the bones come to the surface right next to them, looking for leftovers!

nice bone taken on top

posada acuarela--our home for the week

Pete about to release one

Jeff w. with a nice one

dinner time

Hans ready for the take

some history

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Vince,

Your pics and info help our dream. Can you walk the flats without a guide if one does not get in the way of guides? Just thinking of when we are at anchor and being able to take inflatable to some close by flat and walking/fishing when ever the mood dictates. Would not want to piss of the locals though.

#5 ·
Vince, who do you ask when you are there? I'll be careful I wouldn't want to loose the boat for such a violation. And things like that have happened to others. Heck if I have to I will walk the flats without a rod and just make believe, The locals will think they have a crazy man on the flats and they might be right.:smokin:

#6 ·
They have a pretty good map of the islands for sale in a gift shop right by the runway on gran roque. It shows the islands and restricted areas. I think it was $30. Other than that you have to ask some of the guides or outfitters on the island. Problem is there is no fly shop or lodge.

#8 ·
adding more pics as they come in (and I have the time)

Also posted a few videos taken with Doc steve's hero 2. Will post more soon. Very impressed with the quality and cool angles.
videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/cenzie2000?feature=mhee

the lobster lunch on our last day (with conch, oysters and fish too). Taken at a fisherman's house on one of the islands. delicious!!

tailers tight to the mangroves

Doc Tom fighting one

huge puffer Pete V. caught while fishing alone

releasing one

#10 ·
Glad you could join us Pete!

we miss this guy--Mimo--he can cook!

chillin' on the roof top after a day on the water

view from atop the hill on Gran Roque--looking at the village where we stayed. No motorized vehicles--just walk to where you want to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.