Fly Fishing Forum banner

Baja report

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JWW 
#1 ·
thanks to everyone on the board who gave advice regarding my inquiries about Baja. Here is a brief report from my recent trip.

I traveled with my wife and baby, and fished the East Cape for 1 week. 4 days in a panga, not much time beach fishing.

Got some marlin trolling offshore in the early morning hours, and a few dorado which attacted others for sight casting.

Skipjack and bonito were awesome fun on 9 / 10 weight rods. A broken pump in the bait tank and some dead sardinas turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The little tunoids were crashing the dead bait on the surface, and a crease fly was perfect.

Also got a rooster of about 7 lbs ... and about 50 follows to the boat. Those are some discriminating fish! We saw roosters in the 30+ pound range every day.

I fished with a superb guide, a ex-pat ****** with a professional demeanor, energy, and experience. He worked for years for one of the more established East Cape services, and saw room for improvement, so now he's got his own operation. He's also now dead-seat on trying two handed rods in the surf. Any takers? He regularly got me onto roosters ... the problem was getting the fish to take!

thanks again to everyone here for the great advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a fantastic trip, thanks for the report. Oh man, I can just hear my wife now... "you're going WHERE??"

I would love to go play Atlantis games in rooster country with him, most likely I am just going to have to send one to him without me though. Please PM his contact info and I will send one down to play with as my stock on hand allows.

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.