Fly Fishing Forum banner

Refuge and South Beach, 5/18

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Picked up a schoolie around the bend at the refuge on the third cast then nothing for an hour. Headed back to the Rip Ryder pickup and ran into Nick. We walked down the surfside, surf was tough. Nick picked up and albino schoolie. Made our way over to the other side and foloowed the trail to birds working down by the J bouy. Terns were working over small bait in shallow water - no signs of fish. We hung out in the area and Nick jumped on a swirl and picked up a nice small keeper. I left Nick working a flat south of the J bouy and made my way back. Stopped at fishy looking water at the L bouy and hooked up with a nice mid 30's fish that broke off as I beached him. Brittle tippet from last year...didn't expect anything but schoolies. Caught another twinkie at the shuttle stop. A slow morning but my sense was that the flood was going to be pretty good. I left at noon figuring I'd be kicking myself... looking forward to hear how Nick made out.

#2 ·
Well, after I left Fred, headed down south along the channel on the edge of the flat. Slow going. Took a while to see anything.

All of a sudden, I look over my shoulder and see a school of six or so heading to the flooding current. First fish I've seen this year on the flats....so the first attempt at casting to them was botched. I get another shot, and they refuse. Still haven't spooked so I double time it through the water to get ahead again. Repeat again. Finally get one to take on the third try...ended up taping out at 33" (see below). Felt good given the new Ross a little workout. Smooth as silk.

This school started it all off. For the next half an hour or so, school after school came by, I ended up picking up 2 or 3 more before the flood pushed me in towards shore.

Ended up starting the long walk back to the pickup, saw one or two more loners, but both times spooked quickly. Not as many fish as I was hoping on the flats after the reports from Capt. Keith. Back on the Ryder it was confirmed by others, just not as many fish around as Saturday. Anyways, all in all a great day on the water.

Nick

Attachments

#3 ·
Great report Guys and nice photo.. I am always afraid to drop my camera in the water... anyway it is more than clear that the tides really govern the action..it seems the best times are starting 3 hours into the flood and 3 hours after the start of the ebb... give or take.

#4 ·
That would be my favorite six hour period too;)

Nice reports guys - counting the days now - four weeks time and I'll be there - just praying for bluebird skies .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.