Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sunglass Testimonials?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  labrax 
#1 ·
I'm about ready for a new pair. My last hunt resulted in Bolle's because they were polycarbonate and polarized. I've been a faithful Bolle guy for a loong time but they seem to be moving toward the postage stamp lens like all the other "cool" brands. I would like a little more lens coverage this time, my current pair are a little small although the curvature makes up a little for that. I am also not into glass; the chards cause a lot of eye damage if they get hit with a fly whereas polycarb is virtually unbreakable. Glass scratches less but if you use croakies the scratches are few and far between.

Anyone have good experiences with a particular brand or model?

#2 ·
Juro,

I lose mine all too frequently. Witness my south tip adventure. On one week long trip to Rock Creek in Montana I managed to lose 2 pair. For this reason I have always stayed with the cheaper models and have found they work just fine. Is there a difference in polarization? Are some more polarized than others?

#3 ·
Juro, I use a brand called pst, precision shooting technology. I love the fact that the lenses are designed to deal with shooting (your clouser ain't hitting you at 1200 feet per sec), so it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. they have a fishing model and hunting model(no polarization) Tom D

#5 ·
Everytime I go to MVP Sports I see the Polaroid brand polarized sunglasses for <30 buckaroos.. I wonder if they would do the trick since they invented polarized lenses. I'm with Gregg, loose too many to buy Mauie Jims. I remember one day fishing a railroad bridge over the Parker river. I looked down into the current and my nice Vuarnets slide off and bye bye. Interesting about the polycarbonate though.

TerryW

#7 ·
The world looks best thru polarized lenses!

I have been a fan of the <$30 Bolle polarized glasses you can get in WalMart. Worked for me fopr several seasons and, I beliewve the key to Hawkeye's success last weekend when he borrowed mine (reallly good Karma)

Ona whim this year, I bought a pair of Maui Jim's when a local Orvis shop was going out of business, $180 glasses at 1/2 off. You get what you pay for. Better lenses, better & more comfortable frame.

When I have some spare cash someday, I would like to buy the changeable lense systems (Gray, yellow, brown). I think Action Optics might still have theirs and I know from wingshooting that the amber/ yellow lenses really make a difference in low light conditions.

Roop

#8 ·
Action Optics aren't cheap, but I really like their " first light " lense. These block the least amount of light, and I wear them all day. They are the most versitile lenses I have used. Dark lenses are good for welding and scoping the ladies, but fishing is usually best in low light conditions. Eddie

#9 ·
Juro,
If you are willing to shell out the money, try out the Costa Del Mar's Green Mirror glasses. The amber tint is second to none on the flats and inshore and the mirror does wonders for reducing glare. I have the Euro frame, and they cover your eyes well. Hope this helps.
Nick

#10 ·
Just realized you don't want glass, but I think that the polycarbs from them are just as good, except they don't have the mirrored lens. I'll show you mine this weekend if you want.
Nick

#12 ·
Juro,

I have had a pair of Action Optics - Tailwaters for the past two years and love them. They have the polycarbonate copper lenses in them and they retail for $59. They have a large lens, which is not the fanciest looking, but sure does cover my eyes. They have a newer version - called the Headwaters - the only difference is a smaller frame. My buddy Chris has both and he loves the newer model. I used to just buy the cheap ones, actually still do for wife and spare pairs, but I do notice a difference and will opt for the better lenses in the future if I should break, or lose these. They seem to make everything look a little sharper or crisper when I wear them - even more than the $12 Walmart shades (BTW those walmart shades have a great frame (wraparound), wish the lenses were better). The Action Optics are great while driving, and the copper colored lens isn't too dark on overcast days. I like that color better than the brown or grey lenses for SW and FW fishing.

Good Luck,

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.