Fly Fishing Forum banner

Contoocook river NH

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Domenic 
#1 ·
I fiished this fine river Saturday. A Black Wooley Bugger was very productive, but I hate fishing streamers. I also caught a few on a deep sparkle pupa. Can someone give me some info on flies , and sizes for this river? I tried a siene ,and saw small mayfly nymphs( tried a pheasant tail did nothing)
Thanks

#2 ·
What section were you fishing? - although it's been years since I fished it, I had reasonable success with mottled olive sinkers in 14, brown/gray 'cat hair' bodied floater with pheasant tail, mallard flank spent wing with grizzly hackle in 16 and 18 (the only sizes I'd tied the cat hair with at the time.)

#3 ·
Years ago I used to fish it with a hopper on a dry line, morning and evening. I would just cast it along the shore scrub where there were shady trenches and BANG. This also worked well in the Ammonusuc (sp?), Swift, and Sugar rivers in the region.

I probably missed a lot of fish sitting in other lies but man was it ever a blast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.